Calling all you crafty people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Hey everyone,

I know we have some members here who made or are currently making things like leashes/harnesses for beardies. I have a special request.

My girl Scully recently had her front right leg amputated (yep the whole thing!). She is learning how to get around pretty good, but now that she can't keep her chest off the ground when walking around, I'm a bit concerned about her upper chest area getting rubbed too much. I'm basically looking for a sturdy vest style harness for her, one that can withstand being slid around not only on carpet but outdoors through grass and rock too. I don't want a leash attachment coming off of it so instead of having the grommet with the string hold the top of the vest closed, maybe instead some velcro or a couple magnets would work. And obviously I wouldn't want an arm hole on the right side.

If anyone can make something like that, or know someone who can, please post here or PM me!

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
I hope you find someone who can help you design something.
You've caught my interest about the amputation though...
What happened to result in her losing her entire leg? Also, how have you devised her basking spot? Does she climb okay? Have you had to make extra accommodations in her viv to make it easier for her to move from place to place?

Jenfid, I made a harness for Julius recently and since he's a runnin, jumpin, reptile track star I needed something durable as well. I suggest using a piece of lambskin shammee you can pick up at auto part stores or maybe your local Walmart. They're big so you'll have plenty for spares and since it's leather it's tough but also quite soft to the touch. I don't think velcro or magnets would be good clasps, though. Maybe try a metal snap button or even a normal shirt button if you can sew one on.

http://www.reptile-treasures.com/4newsletters/2005%20January/00-Feature4.htm

this website has a good starter pattern for making a harness. I don't know if the design is modifiable to fit Scully but it's a start. Without using a leash on the harness you might have to increase the overall size of the mask shaped piece of leather. Fortunately, if you use the shammee there's enough to make mistakes until it's perfected. I'm a little stuck on how to pattern a harness for a one armed dragon, though. If you took good measurements of Scully's shoulder width and neck circumference you could take the pattern i used and make it wider and more rectangular, cut a small scoop in one of the long sides for under her neck, and use two buttons where it clasps above her spine, one nearer the base of the skull. That might help keep the vest in the right place during her travels.

AND thank you Bob Mears whoever you are for the helpful harness design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom