Calcium and D3 - conflicting info

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargeUSMC

Hatchling Member
I've read this excerpt from the beautiful dragons nutrition page:

Many calcium supplements and multi vitamins contain vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is essential to calcium metabolism, and is made in the Beardie's skin by contact with sufficient UVB wavelengths. Plants contain another type of vitamin D, called D2 (ergocalciferol). Vitamin D2 is not nearly as efficient (in fact it is really worthless) at metabolizing calcium, hence the need for D3. Research suggests that Beardies may not utilize much or any of the D3 they ingest (as given in a vitamin supplement), only that made by the UVB-skin interaction. Therefore, buying a calcium supplement that contains D3 is not necessary for the calcium metabolism. Products such as Solar Drops and Moon Drops are a waste for Beardies as it misleads people who think that they are making up for the lack of sun or other proper UVB access, and harms the Beardie who ultimately suffers from metabolic bone disease from inadequate calcium being metabolized.

Looks to me like they're saying that calcium wigh D3 is not needed. But I've also read herein abouts that D3 IS needed unless lighting is MVB.
Searching comes up with ao many results......so it's easier to just ask the question......if we're using Reptisun 10, are we getting UVB in the proper wavelength to allow for sufficient natural production of D3, or do we need to suppliment D3?

Semper Fi

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You still should supplement with D3 while using a reptisun 10.0

The reason it is said that you don't need to supplement D3 with the MVBs, is because they provide a much stronger amount of uvb than the reptisun.

Either way, its not going to negatively affect your dragon if its getting D3 via supplements. However, it can negatively affect your dragon if its not getting D3.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Just an addition since my post might have confused some.

Too much D3 can in fact cause problems in your dragon, but the amount of D3 in Calcium supplements (well the ones I use) isn't enough to worry about.

-Brandon

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
That article is saying that just because calcium supplements have D3, don't think your dragon can go without UVB lighting. D3 supplementation is not enough to make up for lack of UVB ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom