Cage Smell!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg728

Hello,

I've had my guy for about a month now. I just cleaned his cage out last week, and I'm noticing that there's a noticable smell in my apartment when you walk by my bedroom and in my bedroom. (Where I keep him)

Does anyone else have this experience? are there any safe alternatives I can pursue to eliminate this smell? I don't want to go around spraying stuff that will be harmful to him, but on the same note I don't want to smell it and I don't my friends or a potential date to be grossed out either.

I'm open for advice, please help!

Thanks,
Greg

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
Not sure what the smell is as I've never noticed any lingering smell, other than when I clean her poops up. I keep a lidded trashcan around for that so it contains that foul poopy odor! Of course you have to open/close it quick! :lol:

You can steam clean your viv - it's safe and very effective.

TimNEPA

You say the smell is in the room. Makes me wonder if you keep crickets in that room. If so, that may actually be what you're smelling.

jach722

Have you smelled the things inside the viv to make sure they don't have any dried urine on them that may have been missed during the cleaning?

BlueDevil

Hatchling Member
Just curious, what does the smell you are referring to smell like? I use slate tiling in my terrarium and when my dragon poops I pick it up with toilet paper and flush it down the toilet (I clean ASAP but never let it sit overnight). I then pop out the slate tile and give it a hot water rinse on both sides before letting it air dry. She tends to only poop on one or two tiles so once a month I'll soak them in a bleach/water solution. I find that the only smells coming from my terrarium (more noticeable when I open it) are the smells of her greens/veggies.

doodlelou

I don't have my beardie yet so I can't tell you from experience what is going on. BUT I've had one person tell me that adult beardies smell bad. Like they had to move theirs to another room because it smelled up their bedroom so much. Also was told that their beardies poop smelled really bad. Not sure what to think of this as it's the only time I've ever heard anyone say such things. Hope you get it resolved soon :) Dana

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
We clean ours as soon as they poop. We use the unscented hypoallergenic baby wipes. That way they get the poop but they also clean some too.
Then like said before we take the tiles out once a month and bleach clean and sun dry or oven dry. We have no smell in our tanks except for the
ocassional fruit smell from the salad bowls.
Do you feed crix? do you leave them in the tank after feeding? If so it could be crix smell you are getting.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
doodlelou":2t4dbqqy said:
I don't have my beardie yet so I can't tell you from experience what is going on. BUT I've had one person tell me that adult beardies smell bad. Like they had to move theirs to another room because it smelled up their bedroom so much. Also was told that their beardies poop smelled really bad. Not sure what to think of this as it's the only time I've ever heard anyone say such things. Hope you get it resolved soon :) Dana

I have NEVER heard that adult beardies smell bad. LOl Yes, their poop can smell bad,and if it smells REALLY bad it is a sign of paracites. I have 3 beardies...and no smell at all. They are all in different rooms too.

Even when I stick my head into the tank I can't smell anything!

doodlelou

mickeysmomma":1d2fan54 said:
doodlelou":1d2fan54 said:

I have NEVER heard that adult beardies smell bad. LOl Yes, their poop can smell bad,and if it smells REALLY bad it is a sign of paracites. I have 3 beardies...and no smell at all. They are all in different rooms too.

Even when I stick my head into the tank I can't smell anything!

LOL! I didn't think this was the norm but I thought I would just throw it out there. Good to know about the parasites. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom