butternut squash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello
i live in the south east of england and cannot find butternut squash anywhere!
i hear soo many people rave about it and there beardies love it and its good for them, i know its a vegetable right? is that all true?
can anyone help me out where to find it?
i normally can only get ahold of rocket, pak choi, cress, watercress, fresh greens, spring greens, thats all my dragons get, and its from tesco! lol, is all of this ok?
just want to check and i want to give them different things but find a lot of whats on beautiful dragons list very hard to find? any help at all?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hey there,
Im in the north of England so I feel your pain! Everything is jsut a liiiiitle bit harder for us to get hold of.

Ruben is an absolute FIEND for butternut squash, and its a cracking staple with lots of calc and protien.

I actually get mine from Tesco. They've never been out when Ive wanted it, so Im sure they must have it at yours.
You'll find it in the fruit and veg section. Its one of those things they only stock one tray of so if your not looking for it like a hawk you'll miss it.
images

Holly

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hey holly
yeah thanx but i found it last night in sainsburys, i asked for it, i had absolutely no idea what i was looking for, lol, so now how do i give it to them? like do i need to cook it? if so how do i cook it, (i cannot cook to save my life! lol), when its cooked or whatever it needs doing, how do i keep it? fridge or garage? could you let me know pls?
thanx you!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hey there,

Its np at all.
Some eat it raw and some wont touch it unless its cooked (because of the aroma).
Try it raw first!
All you do is slice off a chunk, at the begining of the week i usually cut the top off the long neck and cut off a couple of rings.
Cut off the rind and then slice it up, make sure the slices arent very thick because squash requires some good chewing!
Ruben loves it cut into strips raw. And i love it its the only thing that he'll eat which has been dusted with calcium.

I hear other members grate it on top of their other salad items.

If you get no luck with the raw option what you do is just cut it into cubes and drop it into a pan of simmering water. Small cubes only take a matter of seconds to cook. Scoop them out, wait for it to cool and voila!

I refridgerate my squash and it keeps fresh for the whole week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom