Butternut Squash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidster96

Hatchling Member
Is this a good staple for beardies? It was green on the beautifuldragons nutrition chart so I went and bought some. Boy did he love them! They can't possibly be good for him the way he gobbled them down xD he liked them so much he accidently bit my finger! D: So my question is could I use this as a staple? He straight out refuses collard greens while with this I mean... I gave him 10 little pieces that were vacuumed up in 10 seconds!

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
I would like to know this as well. My little guy loves squash. Collard greens, notsomuch. I'm wondering if he eats mostly squash, is that enough veggie intake for the day, or does he actually need leafy greens too.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Put the squash in amongst the collards and he *should* get a few mouthfuls of greens as well :D
I dont think its good as a staple - its just ok to feed it everyday - like a 'salad topper'. They need their dark leafy greens.
Have you tried different greens? Turnip greens, endive, escarole etc?

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
I haven't yet. I've got a buttload of collard greens still, but I want to try some different stuff until I find what he likes. He still eats his collard greens, but maybe just a bite or two... but he will just destroy some squash.

MissT

BD.org Addict
ChiefsDaddy":okppmlh8 said:
I haven't yet. I've got a buttload of collard greens still, but I want to try some different stuff until I find what he likes. He still eats his collard greens, but maybe just a bite or two... but he will just destroy some squash.

Just remember hes still a baby - definitely encourage him to eat his salad but dont panic too much if he isnt eating much of it! Sometimes I put a little raddicchio (sp) in their salads - the red colour seems to attract them to it.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Yea... I'm not too worried. The fact that he's eating veggies at all at 1 month old is pretty amazing.

Kidster96

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's smart.... when I put the butternut squash ontop or under the collard greens he'll move it, at my local stores they have nothing but endive which looked like an onion or something o_O wasn't sure if that was it....

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
IMO the key to a healthy salad is a varaity in the salad. There isn't one vegetable that has every vitamin in it that your dragon needs, thats why you should have a mix.

Butternut is a good staple, if its included with other greens and vegi's

-Brandon

MissT

BD.org Addict
claudiusx":16fsvwrk said:
IMO the key to a healthy salad is a varaity in the salad. There isn't one vegetable that has every vitamin in it that your dragon needs, thats why you should have a mix.

Butternut is a good staple, if its included with other greens and vegi's

-Brandon

Brandon, you put it so much better than me... this is exactly what I was trying to say!!! Thats why I shouldnt post at 1am lol

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
I made a huge mistake the other day by introducing my dragon to butternut squash. Now he doesn't want to eat anything else besides crickets and squash. I'm having trouble feeding him greens, but I think i'll try to mix squash in with greens.

Jess

Extreme Poster
If you shred it with a cheese shredder and mix it up really well, it's harder to pick out! (Although Dudley has now mastered the art of picking out the individual shreds, LOL)

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Jess":1o9udoqh said:
If you shred it with a cheese shredder and mix it up really well, it's harder to pick out! (Although Dudley has now mastered the art of picking out the individual shreds, LOL)

Thats a good idea, thanks :)

danab

Hatchling Member
Yup, Jess said it. I grate my squash and mix it all in my collards. The little pieces of squash stick to the greens and when they try and pick out the squash they end up eating some greens too. Bearded dragon bites mixed in my collards work well for one of my gals too. Course I have a couple dragons that won't eat any salad at all no matter what I have done LOL.

Off topic- I also found that my dubias go nutso for the unusable parts of the squash that I don't give to my dragons (stringy stuff etc.). So they get butternut scraps in addition to their chow and it dissapears so fast.

do you cook the squash? my guy isnt very interested in his greens.... so i am going to try some new stuff till i can figure out what he likes... i was thinking of getting a bunch of jars of baby food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom