butter worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
Okay, I know this is supposed to go in feeders but when I post in feeders it takes a while to get a reply, and I need a semi quick answer lol.

Buddah won't eat her crickets. She eats a little collards sometimes, but thats all. It's been like this for the past two days. Yesterday I went out and got some butterworms(so expensive). She ate them right away. I have a couple of questions..

1. Does anyone know of a really cheap place I can order the butters from? (At my pet store they are 3 for a dollar, and horn worms are 1.50 a peice :shock: )

2. How many should I feed her a day along with her salad?

Thank you!

neecie

Juvie Member
Have you tried silkworms? I get all my worms from Mulberry Farms. The Beaver Bait Shop in Indiana has butters at about the best $ you'll do. Butters shouldn't be the "staple" cuz of fat, but great for an extra supplement.

1happymommy

Juvie Member
I order my butters from mulberry too. I have not heard you can't use them as a staple. I do give a variety but as long as you don't over feed them. The butters are great. No maintance at all. Just keep in the fridge. They last about 1.5 months.

I feed about 5-10 at a time for a small 7 month old. . They are more meatier than a cricket so you don't need to feed as many.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
How big is your dragon length wise?? My dragons won't touch butters.

I, personally hate silkworms, but that's me. I love supers but your dragon needs to be 16+ inches before you can feed those.

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Shes 4 months (judgeing by some growth charts i found online) and 9 inches. She LOVES the butters, only thing she will eat besides some collards. I also read somewhere on the board, while searching butter worms, that they can be used as a staple. I believe it was a post about someone elses dragon who would not eat crickets.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Phoenix worms are GREAT!!!!! I use them as a staple for the smaller dragons cause it ensures they are getting their calcium like they are suppose to.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Actually they aren't. I got the 500+ cups of them straight from phoenixworms.com and they were great. It was cheaper than going to petsmart for the crickets and they are much easier.

Beware of the reptile shows. I went to one here and they had ONE table of feeders and all they had were crickets, mealworms and supers. Only thing they had OBVIOUSLY was crickets which I stopped to get some for the geckos, then found out they had supers by complaining.

neecie

Juvie Member
I've asked about butters fat content here before...........listings show 16 protein, 5 fat which I thought was good. But others say that there's some ratio that indicates it's HIGH. Maybe someone could clear this up in a "non-scientific" way for us. Butters would be so nice to have for a staple worm.

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
Drache613":ea40f said:
Hello,

I just thought I would weigh in on this discussion. The butterworms have not been around as feeders for a real long time. However, they are not high in fat. Here is a good comparison chart for you to look at:

http://www.feedersinc.com/insect-comparison/

Tracie

I was about to say the same thing; Butter worms are not high in fat, supposedly good protein and calcium. I can't remember which website I read it on, but I agree with Tracie. I think its wax worms that don't have much nutritional value. I get butters from NYworms but they have been out lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom