Burnt out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD16

Juvie Member
It has been an extremely hectic and long few months. In the past few months, I feel like I've started to burn out. I love my beardies. But I dont have the patience or passion to interact with them like I used to (I still feed,clean tanks, and care for them). Everything about them irritates me to my wits end. My beardies glass dance constantly, mess their cage up as soon as I clean it, and I just dont care to interact with them like I used to. I usually take them out with me every night and im starting to only take them out every 3 or 4 nights for cuddles. I've considered getting rid of them and rehoming them. But I worry that if I get rid of them, I'll realize I made a terrible mistake and want them back. I just feel so burnt out and I feel like im starting to resent something I loved so much.

I dont know what im asking or looking for, Just needed to talk...

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I think everyone once in a while gets burnt out. I know I do. I work, do online schooling, barrel race which means hours in the saddle and I have Miss Booger, only 1 beardie, but right now I am getting a little break with her sleeping and a little cold to ride all the time. Is there someone that can help you out for a little while? Maybe come over and take your beardies out to play ? How many beardies do you have? Maybe if you keep it to 1, maybe you would feel better about having them? Not sure how to help, just wanted you to know your not alone . I do know for me I wouldn't have the time for more then 1 beardie.

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
This happens to me, when dylan is constantly ill or refuses to eat for no apparent reason, its so upsetting I just want to give up and walk away - I have a friend who owns a beardie and if it gets to much we just rant and rave to each other for a while!
Maybe ask a friend to take care of them for a while - until you decide what you want.

I have also gone through this with my birds and right now my fish (who are disappearing out of the tanks - weird :shock: )
It happens when you are tired and just need a break, you just need some alone time to readjust and you will find your spark again! Maybe read some threads on here about funny dragons antics and that will help you rediscover your passion for your babies!

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe one problem you're having is taking on too much at this time in your life. Maybe just one beardie would be easier to stay happy with right now.

Don't want to be negative just wondering.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Bwalter - There is nobody that can come over and help me. I just moved to Nebraska and the only people we know here is our family friend and his family. But he has almost no reptile experience, he had owned leopard geckos. But he's 32, works full time with my dad, and has 2 kids to take care of. I have 3, Two that I bought off of a couple a few years back who no longer wanted to care for them, and the other one that was my moms impulse buy at a repticon a few years back. I dont really know what I want, Maybe I should talk to my mom about us rehoming her beardie... I dont want to upset her, But his care and handling time got pawned off on me as soon as he moved into my room when we moved. She seems to like him, but she doesnt like to handle him because he's still young and energetic. I handle him when I can, But I feel like maybe he's whats making this so hard on me.

Fortunate - I know I had said this in my reply to Bwalter, But I didnt want to ignore your response. I just moved to Nebraska a few months back and the only people we know here is a family friend and he's got to much going on in his life and I wouldnt want to pawn something off on him. I dont really think he would be able to handle a beardie and their needs properly.

RandyMarsh - I've had 3 beardies at one other point in my life. My oldest female was sick and I knew she wouldnt last much longer, I had already adopted Vladamere at the time so I had him to take care of as well and shortly after the people who I adopted Vlad from telling me I had first dibs on Vlad's ex cagemate and girlfriend and her tank and all supplies for $50. These people didnt know the first thing about reptiles or bearded dragon care and it was a heck of a deal, So I bought her and brought her home. My female had passed away the day that I went to go get the new girl and the next 72 hours of my life went down the drain and I was an emotional wreck. But after a few days the wounds started to "heal" so to speak and I wasnt as emotional as I was over her death. I had my 2 dragons all the way up until my mom got her dragon and I became responsible for caring for him, and thats around the time that I started to feel myself burn out. I know I mentioned this, But maybe I'll talk to my mom about us rehoming her dragon. She doesnt interact with him all that much and he now resides in my room, So im the primary care taker. She's nervous when she handles him because he's young and spunky.

I dont really want to see my dragons go. I would be heartbroken even if im feeling stressed with them right now. I think a big contributing factor to it all is that I have 3 dragons to care for instead of 2 because my moms dragon got pawned off on mine.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I went from 1, to 2, to 3 and as of yesterday I know have a total of 7. Yes, it is very overwhelming at times, and I feel like I can't give them all the attention I want to give each individual one, but I could never give them up. I love them each in a unique different way. If 3 is too many for you, than I say to see if your mom will take hers back on. If not, than find a home for hers and keep your 2.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to talk to her about it but chances are I'll have to hear things like: "Well if you dont want to take care of him, I will, you should of told me." and I'll still get stuck taking care of him. She told me when we moved here in the first couple days that she should have rehomed him, So maybe she'll go along with it.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Whatever you choose to do, BigD, just know that you aren't alone. There are people here to talk to all the time. And I think that in one way or another, we have all been there before. I sure understand about being burnt out lately.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was kind of apprehensive about posting this particular topic here. Not because I thought somebody would jump on me, But I figured people would of looked at it as: "You knew what you were getting into when you took on 3, deal with it." I just thought somebody would of thought I didnt love my beardies or care for them properpy. Which isnt the case. I love my beardies dearly, But lately I just dont have it in me to care for 3. So im going to talk to my mom about us rehoming hers. Plus if im going to college, I think 2 is plenty enough for me to take care of when I'll be on the go nonstop.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
well another thing to remember here is that beardies don't really care. They got no emotions man, so if they're needs are met they'll be fine.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Your entitled to your opinion Randy, and I have my own. I think my beardies look at me as more than the cricket guy and the tank cleaner. Again, Thats just how I feel. Your entitled to your opinion and im entitled to mine.

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
its your desison, BigD, but i say try and get your mom to take her beardie back - its the best solution. And i agree with you - beardies have feelings and emotions - just like any other pet.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Just saying I understand. I feel like this a bit with my guppy tank. -___- Their cycle crashed while I was work and my favourite one died a few days later (I hadn't had them very long, but he was the only one I'd named). I just wish they would get to a stable cycle and be easy to care for like my axolotl - right now they're very frustrating and worrying, I don't want to loose any more and I have babies in the tank, which makes it hard to clean like I used to every day (they're tiny, don't want to suck them up).

I'm toughing it out, but at times I thought about returning them to the pet store, since I know they take back animals that didn't work out or people can't care for.

I would tell your mom that she needs to either care for hers or re-home it. It sucks, but it's not your fault.

My parents kind of went through the same thing. They got a tiny puppy and didn't realise how much work it would be and had to have a serious talk about if it was too much for them. I have had to watch the dogs for them when they go out of town, and I know if I had to do that all the time, it would be too much for me to handle by myself.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think im going to talk to my mom about her either taking back over for caring for her beardie or rehoming him since she talked about it. I've been thinking about it and I really dont think I can get rid of my beardies. I have them out with me tonight and feel great. I dont think I can get rid of them, I just think its the stress of having to deal with 3.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
BigD16":2bl1bkor said:
Your entitled to your opinion Randy, and I have my own. I think my beardies look at me as more than the cricket guy and the tank cleaner. Again, Thats just how I feel. Your entitled to your opinion and im entitled to mine.

We can humanize them as much as we want, and yeah they're plenty smarter than most people give them credit for but scientifically speaking their brains CANNOT process emotion the way we do as Humans. Not knocking your thing at all here, just saying sometimes it's hard to step back and look at it a little more objectively when we get attached to something.

I guess what i was trying to say is that if they're physical needs are met they will be ok. A bit of "emotional neglect" isn't going to matter to a dragon one way or another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom