Bulb question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smackey2

Hatchling Member
I am going to try and explain this the best I can and hopefully not confuse anyone. Here goes!

Spike has been great, but a few days ago she had a slight set back. She started hiding again and refusing to come out from her cave. And when she did, she kept her eyes closed. I thought maybe something was wrong with her basking bulb, as she seemed to avoid it. Her appetite decreased and she was lethargic and staying on the cold side most of the time.

This is the one I had and was using:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Bask...kmr1&keywords=reptisun+100w+basking+spot+lamp

So, this morning after seeing her look so pitiful and unhappy, I made a trip to a different pet store than I normall go to. I bought a different basking light. This one:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CI2hrOK6w9MCFZ5WDQodkSgI_A

When I got the new one home, I noticed that the new one was clearer looking compared to the other one I had. The first one had like a pinkish tent to it and wasn't nearly as clear as the new one. So, just out of curiosity, I made one more trip, and bought another bulb like my old one, but brand new. When I compared them again, the one from reptisun still had this pink like tent to it. Do those ones have some kind of coating on them or something? Is there something about those bulbs that she didn't like and could have been making her sick?

Since putting in the new one, the Fluker's one, Spike's appetite has gone back to normal and is as active as she has ever been. (Within about 2 hours, she was back to her little baby, energetic, self.) And I also noticed that I get the same temperature with the 75w as I did with the old 100w. However, interesting enough, I put in the second Reptisun one that was also 100w and got a whole new temperature. Her basking spot was 120 degrees! The first reptisun I was using kept her basking spot at 105 degrees. (I did not move the light! It has been in the same exact spot the whole time.) Do they make defective bulbs? Hopefully this new Fluker's bulb is ok and will do the trick. If not, I'll just go get a different one again. Or even order one if need be.

Anyone ever experience anything like this before?

Out of curiosity, in everyone's opinion, what is the best, or what do you prefer to use, basking bulb wise?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Both of those bulbs should be fine. The difference in color is probably due to the glass that is used. I don't think either of them uses a neodymium coating (which filters yellow) so that's good. If she seems to have a preference for one of the other, use the one she prefers. The main thing is to get temps in the proper range. The new bulbs may burn a bit hotter at first until they burn in and settle down a bit so it doesn't surprise me that the new bulb is a bit hotter. You'll just have to keep checking it and make adjustments as needed. The main thing with the basking bulbs is to get a nice bright light and proper temperatures.

I've used the ZooMed basking lights before and had pretty good luck with them. They are fragile and don't play well with a dimmer though so I've started using a GE PAR38 halogen flood light which is nice and bright and dims well (I have a dimming thermostat). It's not necessary to switch from what you have but if you want to, a halogen flood light is another good option available to you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":rif1u2ta said:
Both of those bulbs should be fine. The difference in color is probably due to the glass that is used. I don't think either of them uses a neodymium coating (which filters yellow) so that's good. If she seems to have a preference for one of the other, use the one she prefers. The main thing is to get temps in the proper range. The new bulbs may burn a bit hotter at first until they burn in and settle down a bit so it doesn't surprise me that the new bulb is a bit hotter. You'll just have to keep checking it and make adjustments as needed. The main thing with the basking bulbs is to get a nice bright light and proper temperatures.

I've used the ZooMed basking lights before and had pretty good luck with them. They are fragile and don't play well with a dimmer though so I've started using a GE PAR38 halogen flood light which is nice and bright and dims well (I have a dimming thermostat). It's not necessary to switch from what you have but if you want to, a halogen flood light is another good option available to you.
GE versions aren't available here in Australia, but the Philips and Crompton versions are , and many beardie keepers and breeders here use the Philips par38 clear colorless versions.
Are a lot cheaper than "reptile" brand spots too and seem much more robust too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom