Building Trust with your beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
I know this is kind of a newbie question but, how do you build trust with your beardie? is it just through the act of feeding them everyday or are there tricks to building it? We've had Toruk for a month now and he still isn't comfortable with us sticking our hands inside the tank at all. He starts running around or opens his mouth and looks like he's going to try and bite us or something. I was just wondering if this is normal or if he just needs more time to trust us or something. Any insight into this would be very helpful and if you have any tips or tricks please share! Thanks everyone!

Toyguy

Juvie Member
You just hsve to keep at it. Pick him up every day, even if he doesn't want you to. Once you start backing off if he hisses or beards at you, he'll quickly learn that's what to do. After a few weeks of seeing that his threats don't work, he should start to settle down.

Be gentle, let him see your hand coming in slowly, and then take a good comfortable hold on him. I like to get my palm under the belly as I think it makes them feel more secure and I pick them up crossways so their arms can hang onto my fingers for added security.

Once you get that going well, start putting him on your arm or chest and letting him hang out. He'll soon learn it's a nice, safe, warm place to be.

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I pick Toruk with my fingers under his chest and lower body (he's 2 months old) so I think I'm giving him a secure platform to be on.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Thats good idvice from Toyguy. Try handfeeding him his favourite treats so he sees your hand as a pleasure rather than a threat. Always have food in your hand so if he goes to bite or opens his mouth you can put the food in place of your finger. Just think you've got many years with your beardie so just be persistant and patient and he'll eventually come around :D

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
I did the same thing with Curt. I'd had a good trust bond with him, but one day he pooped and then I saw him going to eat it. I grabbed it out of his mouth and he instantly black bearded and opened his mouth at me. I couldn't go near his viv without his beard turning dark, and I felt horrible for ruining his trust even though I knew what I did was right for his health. One day I walked in and ignoring his attitude, I dropped a cricket in there. He gobbled it up right away and then looked up at me with a cute face, so before his beard could turn dark, I picked him up and he didn't mind. Having experienced this, I agree with catUK, food may be the key to his heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshG88
Top Bottom