Building Styrofoam basking spot/cave.(Finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
I have finally started to make a basking spot/cave for Ember out of Styrofoam. I had all the stuff I needed to make it for a while now but been too lazy to start. So hopefully posting it here will urge me to finish it sooner. It will be a while until I get it finished because I still need to do the final shaping, Then put enough tile grout on it to withstand a dragon. After all that I will paint and seal it then let it sit for a few days to air out.

I will try and post pictures of the progress.

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
Thanks for posting pictures of the process. I would like to make one myself but don't really know where to start.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is Ember’s cave/basking spot with about 5 coats of tile grout. I will be putting a few more coats on then I will paint it and seal it. I am just trying to figure out what color to make it.
Any ideas on what color I should paint it be would be appreciated.

I am also making a ledge for my anoles cage. I put magnets on each side and was planning to have it be able to stick to the side of their tank. I just don’t think the magnets will be strong enough even though my anoles are only a few grams each.

Once I started to put grout on it I just realized that the shape looks like a dog’s head in profile. :D

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
halffrozen":wnbd2pnl said:
What did you use to stick the foam together???

TIA.

I used clear Loctite Power Grab to glue the Styrofoam together and I used some toothpicks to help hold the foam where I wanted it. I think the toothpicks help make it stronger.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ILoveLemmonade":1k51hs3w said:
Ember is sooooooo pretty! Where did you get him/her? Also, do you have a finished picture?
Thank you
I got her from Carolina Designer Dragons I live about half an hour away from the breeder so I was able to go down there and pick her out from the all the dragons the had. :D

I actually just finished it this week. I am letting it air out for a few days to get rid of any fumes that linger. Here is a photo of the front, side and back of the basking/cave.I added some sand on the last coat of sealer to cut down on the glossiness and to give Ember better traction. The cave is a little bit darker in person the flash washes out some of the color as well.

I just put Ember on her cave tonight for the photo she is in the middle of shedding. I will be putting in her tank sometime this weekend

Here is the finished ledge I made for my anoles. It is a little bit too heavy to support its self with just the magnets so I will have to figure another way to attached it.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ILoveLemmonade":26xgg5el said:
What force magnets did you use? You can get some 10lb magnets on amazon for a good price.

I used ½ inch neodymium magnets N42 from Amazon that had a pull force of 3 lbs. I am mounting it on a vertical surface so the pull force is not used as much. It is the downward force that is causing them not to stay up. I should have made the back of it wider so there is more contacting the wall.

I added a piece of wire to help support it like how a bracket is used to hold up a shelf. So it will prevent the front of the ledge from drooping. I also added a few more magnets to help. I made this ledge a bit too long because from the wall to the front edge is about 9 inches. My next one will be much shorter.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ILoveLemmonade":1cib836k said:
It looks good. How did you attach the magnets?

I first tried with just gluing the magnet in the Styrofoam but the magnet was too strong and pulled right out of the foam even crazy glue did not work. I saw someone on line use a screw to help secure the magnet to the foam.
I first made a hole in the foam that would fit the magnet and be flush. I then drilled a small hole in the center of it and filled up that hole with power grab glue. After that I screwed in about an inch screw but I added a washer the same size as the magnet so it has more to grab on to. I added more glue on top then stuck the magnet in. So with the glue and the metal being attracted to the magnet it will stay in place.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is the finished cave in her enclosure I think she will like it.

Ember slept in her cave the first night I put it in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom