building my first cage!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorboy1392

Hatchling Member
well i decided that i am going to build a cage for my beardie :) im going tomorrow to get all the wood and vents and stuff. the cage is going to be 6' wide x 2' deep x 2' tall. im also going to put it up on legs so i have some storage space underneath it. but i have some questions:

im going to put tile on the bottom and halfway up each wall, but im going to stain the wood thats not covered in tile so it doesnt look so plain. so does it matter what kind of stain i use?? he wont be able to get to the part of the wood thats stained so there would be no risk of him tasteing it, and i would let it dry extra long so there is no smell. so i could use any kind right??

and do i need a certain kind of grout in between the tiles??

ill make sure i put up lots of pics along the way so you guys can see it as im building it :)

PHXSPAZZ

Hatchling Member
what type of wood can be used for building a cage?? that's not harmful, and do i have to cover any of it????

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
To answer both questions, you'll need to seal the wood/stain with a non-toxic waterbased sealant. Yes it matters even though they aren't capable of tasting it, because under heat lamps and such they could out-gas and poison your beardie.

@ the OP, if doing tile on walls, I'm assuming you'll be grouting it in. This will also need to be sealed the same way.

gatorboy1392

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well i did some searching on craigslist, and instead of building a 6x2x2 cage and stand which would cost 200+ dollars, im buying a used one that is supposedly in good shape. im going to look at/buy it tomorrow. if i get it ill post some pics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom