Building a stackable viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
I'm planning on making a stackable viv. My plans are to make it 4.5 feet high 4 feet long and 2 feet deep. im going to just seperate it down the middle to make it into two. My grandpa is worried about the wood burning. Do I seal it with something? Since i'm not going to leave room in the middle of the two sections for ventilation i'm just going to put more vents on each. Does this sound okay?

DistDrag

Juvie Member
A couple things for you. If you are using a wood such as plywood (not melamine) it will be necessary to seal it. I would suggest a water based polyurethane. It's easy to work with, low odor and durable.

An enclosure that is 4.5 x 4 x 2 doesn't make good use of your wood since plywood comes in 4 x 8 sheets. I'd recommend 4 x 4 x 2 which would only need two sheets of plywood rather than three.

Without space or insulation between the two enclosures the one on top will be much hotter due to the heat coming from below. You can add extra ventilation but the floor is going to be warmer regardless.

Good luck and hopefully some others who have built this type of viv. can add some suggestions or advice.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom