Building a new VIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

smergy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you so much and that is ok for him. i almost got the cage done, just need to put in stuff in it, wife is painting it and we need the glass front so i want to look to getting the lighting in it like soon, hes only about 7 or so inches but i would like to get this 4.5x2x2 cage in here soon so i can have my cofee table back!! thats what the 20gal tank is on atm... :mrgreen:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
smergy, please don't listen to anything the pet store staff tell you, they're almost 100% wrong, unless they've actually looked up info. My hubby worked in a petshop, he changed everything to do with the reptiles & hated it that after he was laid off, they went back to the way they'd always done things, to the point of him getting into arguments with the manager. I've learned over the years that the pet shop is there to get supplies only, if I have a question I always come here.

Sounds like the new viv is really great & you'll find your female will be a normal beardies once she's on her own. It will make a big difference.

smergy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well actually Draco is the male, and you know, and i am not saying i am glad to only have the one now but when we took her back because of how sick she looked, acted and was Draco really perked up, runs around alot more and eats more, now I can say that he is off of the medician the doc gave for his parasite so I cant say which perked him but i am really going to listen to you guys about the lighting mainly because as i said, she really really made me made. when i brought up the fact the kit they sold me should be pulled off because they have sand in it she said, yea you shouldnt have done sand right away, she said wait till the guy can walk on all fours!! i then asked her and said so after of year of your life you like walking on a litter box>>@ and she said no and then i said how is it ok for the beardie, she didnt know what to say...lol also i said about the lighting she said oh you shouldnt get your lights from home depot the thing will fall apart then i asked how come people buy them for their house and it is ok on the outside, she didnt have a comment; bottom line when i go in their i am only going if now i know what i want to buy and thats it!!!@@ thanks guys you all are the best for this newbie

smergy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the info, now i did get the t8 at lowes, i only have a lowes cc...lol anyhow its a 4 ft but the other question i have with lighting is really two, one with the cage i built only being like 4.5 f long is the 4ft going to be ok as a uvb source and also where in the cage do i put it and add another heat light. for example the crossfire went with a 3 ft but they no longer do 3 foot fixtures, and secondly yours and even crossfire has the heat light that 120w spotlight is next to it, so that is my question, as to what i need to do and where and what other light i need. dont mean to sound dumb but i want to get what will be right :)

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
I like the uv running the whole length of the viv, just have to make sure there are shade areas. As for bulbs, I use 75watt lights and I am installing a dimmer because it heats up quickly. I am also adding a second spot so I will have a total of 1 uv light, 2 75 watt incandescent lights on dimmers and a CHE on a thermostat for night time heating. I am hoping that installing a second incandescent light and dimming them both will maintain temps but lose the hot spot.

smergy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok so i can run the uvb light all the way installed on the back of the cage i built and maybe the other lights on one side in front of that fixture? i wasnt sure if i could do that because it would have a whole uvb light going on and then a second light in front of that on one side.

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
Everything I have read suggests placing the uv and basking side by side so they get the benefit of both simultaneously. Just heavy emphasis is placed on creating shade so they can escape the uv and heat.

smergy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok then what do you suggest...lol the box is about 4.5 ft long so there is only half a foot that is there after i put in the uv light fixture!! and what do you suggest for the other light fixture anyhow, and with what bulbs to get :) please help this retard on lighting sean!!

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
Here is how I would mount my lights if I chopped two feet off:
VVP120606_013rev.jpg

Does this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cinnabunn
Top Bottom