Build a Baby Rack in a Day for around $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
This is one of the easiest ways to build a nice baby bin rack that is inexpensive and temporary or permanent.

I purchased a 4ft wire rack from Lowes for $60 that has 4 shelves. I assembled it and cut 3 pieces of 1x3 to fit tightly in the undersides between the metal supports, then put a screw in each end to secure it in place. Using a spotlight plate, I drilled a hole in one side so that an extension cord could go through it and wired it to 2 fixtures using heat shrink butt connectors, then mounted it to one end of the board. Then I mounted a 24" Flourescent fixture from Wal Mart by drilling a hole through the middle and fastening with a screw. Done deal, just add bulbs, bins and babies.

1 Wire Rack $60
3 Plates w/ 6 Fixtures $20
3 Flourescent Fixtures $21

temprack1.jpg

close up of light fixtures
tempracklights.jpg

with reflector on flourescent fixture
temprack2.jpg

fez09

Extreme Poster
This is perfect! I will be needing one of these soon, thanks for the easy to follow directions with pics!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I need to do one showing how to wire the lights for those who don't know. I just wish I would have thought of this before I built 6 racks last year. At least when you're done with it, it's still useful as a shelf.

Vacren

Juvie Member
Very cool. Those are the same racks I'm working on converting, I got the 6' and am working on how to attach the wood/doors to.

Lance posted a wiring how-to a week or two ago, I'll look for it.

fez09

Extreme Poster
Cheryl, are those 18 gallon tubs?? Do you use any type of basking rocks to get them closer to the heat and UVB??

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Those are the Target 54 qt bins, they are extras we use at the shows. I use lower ones for my babies and just found some new ones at Wal mart that are 65 quart and not as high sided, but are 16 wide x 22 long. On the racks I built from wood, I spaced the flourescents down closer to the bins by 1.5" to 2" and cut 45º angles on the sides to mount reflectors. The refectors return from 30 to 50 percent of the lost uvb to give a wider and more concentrated coverage area. I've been wanting to get more made at the machine shop, but I would need to get about 50 orders to make it cost effective for everyone. They are a big deal in salt water aquariums, so I don't understand why they are not a standard in the reptile world. I also have climbing branches so the babies can get within 6 to 8 inches of the uvb bulb, but as they get bigger, I have to remove the branches. Then I use 6x6 ramps made from unglazed tile with wood legs glued to one end using construction adhesive.

If anyone is interested in aluminum reflectors, let me know! I have the Solartech meters and can get actual test readings to prove how well they work.

This is the link to lance's thread you were talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=140791

I am a completely foreign to wiring and I feel that the thread didn't do it for me. I need detailed explanations for each step(picture). Wiring can be dangerous, so if it seems vague, I wouldn't even attempt trying it.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm almost done with my wooden rack tutorial. It has step by step pictures, measurements, shopping list, everything. I will have pictures of direct wiring of the lights, very simple. Just need a little time to finish it up without getting distracted.

YBS0502

Hatchling Member
RioReptiles":1vnca62w said:
Those are the Target 54 qt bins, they are extras we use at the shows. I use lower ones for my babies and just found some new ones at Wal mart that are 65 quart and not as high sided, but are 16 wide x 22 long. On the racks I built from wood, I spaced the flourescents down closer to the bins by 1.5" to 2" and cut 45º angles on the sides to mount reflectors. The refectors return from 30 to 50 percent of the lost uvb to give a wider and more concentrated coverage area. I've been wanting to get more made at the machine shop, but I would need to get about 50 orders to make it cost effective for everyone. They are a big deal in salt water aquariums, so I don't understand why they are not a standard in the reptile world. I also have climbing branches so the babies can get within 6 to 8 inches of the uvb bulb, but as they get bigger, I have to remove the branches. Then I use 6x6 ramps made from unglazed tile with wood legs glued to one end using construction adhesive.

If anyone is interested in aluminum reflectors, let me know! I have the Solartech meters and can get actual test readings to prove how well they work.
is that regular sheet aluminun or does it have a reflective coating of some kind thanks

fez09

Extreme Poster
RioReptiles":1p1y9ep7 said:
I'm almost done with my wooden rack tutorial. It has step by step pictures, measurements, shopping list, everything. I will have pictures of direct wiring of the lights, very simple. Just need a little time to finish it up without getting distracted.
Will you be posting it here? I want to make sure that I don't miss it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom