Buffalo Grass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
So I am thinking of the future enclosure that my bearded dragon will need and what I want to do is custom build an all natural enclosure as close to the environment that they come from as I can including a natural substrate and I was thinking about using regular soil with a grass (so that he can't eat the soil) I know that buffalo grass is drought resistant which is perfect but what I do not know is if it is healthy for him to eat on a regular basis which is what I want to do. I want to grow plants and grasses that are not only safe for him to eat but beneficial and healthy for his regular diet and not just snacking on it. Essentially I want it to be just like he is living in the wild. If you have any suggestions comments or concerns please leave them for me I would really like to know.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....if you post this in the enclosure subforum and make the title about a bioactive terrarium, you'll probably get responses . At least one of the members here , username Taterbug, has a bioactive themed enclosure with live plants.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know how I want to design it I just want to know if buffalo grass is healthy for bearded dragons

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cool thanks iIthink iI'mgoing to talk to a vet to find out for sure just thought someone on here wooldbe kknowledgeable about it

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The grass you looking for is called spinifex grass , this is the dominant grass found in their natural range in tropical central Australia.

This might help :
http://www.alicespringsdesertpark.com.au/kids/nature/plants/spinifex.shtml
http://www.southwestnrm.org.au/sites/default/files/uploads/ihub/common-grasses-central-australia.pdf

I live in coastal subtropical north coastal NSW, my yard has a variety of grasses and wild herbs (weeds) in it, including some buffalo. My beardies don't get out to run on grass as my yard is not lizard safe (escape proof) and there are known lizard killing dogs and cats about as well as kookaburras and wedgetail eagles. A friend lost their big girl beardie last year to a kookaburra , it swooped down and had it and was flying off with it before he could do anything.

I can not comment on the edibility if buffalo glass. I do know people who's beardies enjoy a nice nibble on the wild covers, dandelions and glasses in their yards.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I can't speak to buffalo grass but as far as growing plants in the enclosure...

Lots of lights. Most plants I've tried to grow quite a bit of light to be happy.
He may or may not eat it. Pepper didn't really fancy eating the plants I grew for him as much as he liked to trample them. Durable plants or making them easy to switch out is handy.
Plants eat up space - a big cage is needed to help keep them from being trampled all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kay.marie
Top Bottom