BSF care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
So we have some Black soldier fly larvae coming in today, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on storage and/or care for them. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from changing longer?
Also, if they require a certain degree of cold to prevent transformation, the only things I have are a fridge and a freezer.

Ed707

Hatchling Member
From what I read on another post they need a dry area to morph into flies so if you keep the substrate semi wet (not soaked) they shouldn't change. Keeping them at 55 degrees or so makes them last awhile

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I didn't think I had a cooler, but apparently I do. Should be able to use that just fine.
Edit: Apparently these ones came in dirt. Should I take them out, and is there something I should do to remove the dirt easily?

Ed707

Hatchling Member
No leave them in the dirt while there on chill... to feed you can take them out and rinse then let dry on a paper towel if your worried about the substrate being ingested by your lizard... or you can just throw them on a paper towel straight out of the bin and let them warm up and wiggle the dirt off... I do the first... they will climb stuff if they are wet but not if there dry

i keep mine in the original cup next to my beardies heat lamp and put soft veggies for them to eat (zucchini, strawberries, wilted greens) after less than a week they double in size. they won't eat or grow in a fridge.

Ed707

Hatchling Member
z0mbiebabykiller":2bh3nn1w said:
i keep mine in the original cup next to my beardies heat lamp and put soft veggies for them to eat (zucchini, strawberries, wilted greens) after less than a week they double in size. they won't eat or grow in a fridge.

I was thinking about feeding my next batch like this and sticking them in the fridge after they've grown. Do you have any problems with the substrate being nasty or any problems with smells? They usually eat all the food you put in there tub? Do you find they turn black or pupate to Flys quicker doing this?

they usually eat everything completely. I change it out if it starts spoiling. when I got large bsf larva a few turned black but he eats them anyway. medium larvae all got big and were eaten before any pupated. my dragon eats up to 30 at a time so they don't stick around too long. you can boil greens/squash and let it cool off, they love that. just nothing high protein, they convert excess to acid that's not good for dragons. its definitely worth doing because you can triple the medium larva in a week.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
z0mbiebabykiller":798gc879 said:
they usually eat everything completely. I change it out if it starts spoiling. when I got large bsf larva a few turned black but he eats them anyway. medium larvae all got big and were eaten before any pupated. my dragon eats up to 30 at a time so they don't stick around too long. you can boil greens/squash and let it cool off, they love that. just nothing high protein, they convert excess to acid that's not good for dragons. its definitely worth doing because you can triple the medium larva in a week.

Do you have some more info about the protein bit? I've Not heard that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom