Brumation....

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I saw a post about brumation recently and now I can't find it. Rocky is going through another shed...this time not in chunks but like a full belly shed and scratching his back. @KarrieRee I took your advice and brushed him, he allowed me to do so. Rocky's poop is fine and eating is fine (increasing) but the sleeping is throwing me off. Rocky wakes up earlier (without the lights) and goes to sleep at exactly 12 hours. So if he stirs at 3am, at 3pm it's a wrap. Should I be concerned. Rocky still allows me to hold him but he heads for his enclosure. He's fully alert but today he didn't want out, he could care less about window time. He basked and scratched which is understandable. @xp29 well, until his ramp comes then he better us it LOL
But seriously, a) I can't handle brumation. I still shine the flashlight to check on Rocky as he sleeps
b) does everything sound okay

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I saw a post about brumation recently and now I can't find it. Rocky is going through another shed...this time not in chunks but like a full belly shed and scratching his back. @KarrieRee I took your advice and brushed him, he allowed me to do so. Rocky's poop is fine and eating is fine (increasing) but the sleeping is throwing me off. Rocky wakes up earlier (without the lights) and goes to sleep at exactly 12 hours. So if he stirs at 3am, at 3pm it's a wrap. Should I be concerned. Rocky still allows me to hold him but he heads for his enclosure. He's fully alert but today he didn't want out, he could care less about window time. He basked and scratched which is understandable. @xp29 well, until his ramp comes then he better us it LOL
But seriously, a) I can't handle brumation. I still shine the flashlight to check on Rocky as he sleeps
b) does everything sound okay
He's being a typical dragon--

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yup sounds like typical beardie behavior to me also :)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Day 2....he's still sleeping. I peeked but didn't touch or move anything. I am just going to cry the day away hoping by tomorrow I will be better. I must admit, I started questioning EVERYTHING that I did only because Rocky is under a year but I guess it is what it is.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Now he has you right where he wants you lol .... just kidding 😂 (but really he does 😜
🤪😜)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Now he has you right where he wants you lol .... just kidding 😂 (but really he does 😜
🤪😜)
You know I am like, when he wakes up- he can have whatever he wants. I wont deny him that 3rd bowl of bugs. ANYTHING!

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
I’ve been following Rocky’s journal and I wonder how did you know he’s gone into brumation not just tired/lethargic? Cuz it’s getting cold here and my Draco’s not as active, he’s just 5 months old but I just wanna be prepared, you know? Does he just lay down and stay there asleep for a whole day despite the lights and heat?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
At 5 months he shouldn't try to brumate,he should still be growing. I don't think they generally will try to go into brumation until they are near full size.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
First thank you for following Rocky- WE appreciate it. Rocky began scratching- I gave him a digbox, he dug and dug and dug (about 20 minutes). Rocky would continuously scratch the tile and in hindsight, I allowed him to sleep in my bed and get up later as it's darker now as opposed to keeping him on schedule. While the light came on in the enclosure, I'd cut it off for another hour until he was ready--this only happened for a few days. Then when I cut the light on, I still let Rocky decide when to get in....he would get in the enclosure about 20 minutes later. Rocky and I start our day really early so now we are talking about a 7am start.

Rocky still played with me, ran around the room, ate and fussed until he got into the window. The past few days, he REFUSED to get out of the window, it was a fight but I got him out. When Rocky start walking towards the walls like he does when it's dark but it's the middle of the day, I put him back in the enclosure and he began scratching. He then found his hide. I used his favorite hide to elevate him on the basking side, I wish I moved it to the cooler side but it's too late now- the temp is lowered.

Rocky NEVER goes into his hide...well now in the daytime, he would go in the hide. I didn't think anything of it because he stuck his head out of it but then it became more frequent. When the scratching and hiding became intense, I knew it had to be brumation-I was fearful and in denial.
I checked the lights, the food- Oh, Rocky ate but he slowed down and pooped very consistently. He usually skips a day at times...not now.

The good news is today, Rocky stuck his head out and looked at me when his light came on. I sat and stared for a moment (from across the room). I did my normal routine so he knew I was near, but I felt so much better. I could hear him moving in the night as well. I do not disturb him at all other than the 1 time for water but he didn't open his mouth (drip method). Within the hour, he was sleeping again. I felt so much joy. I didn't see him anymore today but I was okay. @Groggyfroggie

Each day is getting a little easier but I can't wait for this to be over. I knew this would be hard for me and it is- I seriously would've changed my mind about getting a reptile for this part alone.

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
First thank you for following Rocky- WE appreciate it. Rocky began scratching- I gave him a digbox, he dug and dug and dug (about 20 minutes). Rocky would continuously scratch the tile and in hindsight, I allowed him to sleep in my bed and get up later as it's darker now as opposed to keeping him on schedule. While the light came on in the enclosure, I'd cut it off for another hour until he was ready--this only happened for a few days. Then when I cut the light on, I still let Rocky decide when to get in....he would get in the enclosure about 20 minutes later. Rocky and I start our day really early so now we are talking about a 7am start.

Rocky still played with me, ran around the room, ate and fussed until he got into the window. The past few days, he REFUSED to get out of the window, it was a fight but I got him out. When Rocky start walking towards the walls like he does when it's dark but it's the middle of the day, I put him back in the enclosure and he began scratching. He then found his hide. I used his favorite hide to elevate him on the basking side, I wish I moved it to the cooler side but it's too late now- the temp is lowered.

Rocky NEVER goes into his hide...well now in the daytime, he would go in the hide. I didn't think anything of it because he stuck his head out of it but then it became more frequent. When the scratching and hiding became intense, I knew it had to be brumation-I was fearful and in denial.
I checked the lights, the food- Oh, Rocky ate but he slowed down and pooped very consistently. He usually skips a day at times...not now.

The good news is today, Rocky stuck his head out and looked at me when his light came on. I sat and stared for a moment (from across the room). I did my normal routine so he knew I was near, but I felt so much better. I could hear him moving in the night as well. I do not disturb him at all other than the 1 time for water but he didn't open his mouth (drip method). Within the hour, he was sleeping again. I felt so much joy. I didn't see him anymore today but I was okay. @Groggyfroggie

Each day is getting a little easier but I can't wait for this to be over. I knew this would be hard for me and it is- I seriously would've changed my mind about getting a reptile for this part alone.
Thank you for the detailed response! I’m sure Rocky still sees you moving around and he’ll get over brumation soon :D Draco does the scratching and hiding lately too, maybe the weather’s getting to him, but I’m just trying my best to convince him that it can be summer every day! Stubborn beardies 😂

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
At 5 months he shouldn't try to brumate,he should still be growing. I don't think they generally will try to go into brumation until they are near full size.
Yeah I thought so too. He’s just not been active lately, eating less and all that, I’m keeping an eye on him 😀

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom