Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think the area under the platform would make for a cozy hide, but I'd just make the top of the platform more easily accessible.
There are a lot of different bulbs available and you might need to try some different combinations to find what works best in your setup (usually varying wattage). I use these from GE https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-66282-Energy-Efficient-replacement/dp/B007V92OHK/ It all comes down to the temps you measure in your enclosure though.

Sizzle

Original Poster
CooperDragon":wb77gfsn said:
I think the area under the platform would make for a cozy hide, but I'd just make the top of the platform more easily accessible.
There are a lot of different bulbs available and you might need to try some different combinations to find what works best in your setup (usually varying wattage). I use these from GE https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-66282-Energy-Efficient-replacement/dp/B007V92OHK/ It all comes down to the temps you measure in your enclosure though.

So I made a makeshift temp platform/ramp to try out a 75 par38 flood light from about 15 inches away and the temps were only reaching 84 degrees. I don't understand why the temps are so low when you were getting 105 from a greater distance... Is the 15 watts reall the difference of 20 degrees?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Possibly. How are you measuring the surface temps? How long was the light running when you took the temp? My readings came from an IR temp gun after the lights had been on for a few hours already.

Sizzle

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2xafia1m said:
Possibly. How are you measuring the surface temps? How long was the light running when you took the temp? My readings came from an IR temp gun after the lights had been on for a few hours already.

Hey CooperDragon. I take my temps with..
https://www.amazon.ca/Zoo-Med-Digital-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B0053Y6IPE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516385165&sr=8-3&keywords=reptile+temp+gun

I brought Fred to the vet today and so far he seems healthy enough. He still isn't eating very well so the vet has given me some food that I mix with water and syringe feed. She also recommended I crush a bit of a tums for calcium and a bit of vitamin C and put that in the mix. What is your opinion on this? He has lost 6 grams so far, from 183 to 177.

I am going to collect stool samples and bring that in to make sure parasites aren't a problem as well. I am a bit concerned about advice from this vet as she wasn't specifically a herp vet but every vet at this particular clinic do deal with reptiles. Check Lynwood Animal Hospital if you'd like.

As for light, I've switched to a 150w basking bulb from local pet store which gets the temps to around 107f on the surface.

I can't think of any other relevant info.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should give you good surface readings. The new light seems to be giving you temps that are just right so I'd stick with that. I'm not sure about the Tums although the plain version is just calcium carbonate. What is the food that the vet offered? Critical Care? I'd hold off on force feeding since the weight loss is still pretty minimal. Keep the food on hand but I'd just offer drops of water for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom