Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Hello
My beardie is a little over two. Last year he went into brumation in the beg of nov until end of Jan. This year though, for the past two weeks he doest come out of his hide, but rather sits there with half opened eyes staring - so not really sleeping but not fully alert. Is this the beginning of brumation? Because it's different from last year. Last year he just went into his hide, facing the darkness and slept.
His weight is 470 grams, he didn't lose any. He was always on the smaller side, until his summer he was 410 and I finally got him to gain some weight, and it didn't come off with this behavior so that's a good thing. If I take him out to bask and offer him live food he eats right away. I always offer salad but the bugger only picks out squash and ignores everything else - this was always the same. But he jumps at dubia. So I don't know what this behavior is - any thoughts ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they just go through slower phases from what I've seen. Does he seem alert if you take him out of the tank and interact with him? If so I'd try giving him more outside time and maybe some time to look out the window. He could just be bored and zoning out. If he doesn't get more active outside the tank then it could just be a seasonal slow down so I'd let him do his thing and keep an eye on his weight.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
He's alert for a bit and then around 2pm he crawls into some corner and takes a sleeping position
Why I don't know is to leave him sit in the dark or to force him to come out each day?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd be inclined to leave him alone if he doesn't want to come out in the morning. At least for a while.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Ok thanks
Last week he didn't come out the whole week, just set staring with half dazed eyes. I guess I'll wait it out

KozmoRox

I'm in the same predicament. First time brumating... we've been watching our 1 yr old girl for over a month now, at first super picky while eating like yours, and now will only eat very little, very occasionally. She would prefer to sleep 24/7 in her dark comfy hide. I bring her out to cuddle and weigh & bathe and she becomes alert and active. She has pooped twice this week, mostly white urate and small amount of fluid.

Thanks to CooperDragon, I'm not totally freaking out! Just watching and observing for any negative changes. I DO NOT like this phase!! At all!! I hope it ends soon. :(

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Yeah the first brumation was easier because he just fell asleep and that's it. But now he sits in the dark while peeking outside - that's why I thought it's odd ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom