Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Okay. I have read the article on brumation and on another reptile site, but want to get first hand opinions. Ray is my mostly blind beardie rescue. He is approx two years old. His set up is:

4'x12"x12" tank with screen lid
Flooring is non adhesive shelf liner and slate tile
100 watt household bulb for heat
10.0 Reptisun linear uvb bulb (3 months old)
Temps are about 75 cool/95 basking
Digital therm w/probe
Diet is about 5-10 supers a day along with a varied veggie diet of mustard greens,kale,collards with occassional fruits such as banana,strawberries,apple,grapes,and mango.
He is about 22 inches long...weight unknown as I don't have a scale

The problems started on Monday morning. He was blackbearding and trying to get out of his tank. He refused supers, so I just put his salad in his tank before I left for work. I held him a bit and he calmed down a little, but went back at it when I put him back in. While at work I texted my bf to check on him and he told me that Ray had escaped his tank and was sitting on top of it. (I had previously cut a hole in the top where his basking light is because the basking temps were too low.) I was worried that he had burnt himself on the bulb during his escape, but there are no signs of burns or other injuries. Since then, he has had a poop,two baths, 20 mins outside in the sun(thinking the uvb was blocked by the screen and he hadn't been in the sun for awhile), and cuddling. He has refused all food. Last night he went to the cool side way before lights out, dug at the flooring a bit ,and then went to sleep. Thinking brumation, I laid a blanket over him and let him be. As of noon today, he is still sleeping where I left him. His poop has been well formed and regular, so no real sign of parasites. Is this brumation? Could it be his uvb needs to be either inside his tank or unblocked by screen? Both? He still has a little bit of a blackbeard.

Sorry so long a post, but wanted to make sure I gave all the info needed to advise. Thanks!

i cant answer all of your questions but one issue i did notice (or i assumed) is that your UV light is outside of a screen tank cover. screens will dissipate up to 50% of the UV light before it reaches your BD so it definitely needs to be unblocked by the screen.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I plan on making a few changes to his viv and that is one of them. I just have to decide how I can do it. This is my first fall/winter with dragons and I don't want to assume it is brumation and overlook something important. Luckily, we seem to be getting a bit of Indian summer this weekend and I will be able to take him out for some real sun for a few days. Thank you for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom