Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is around 4 months old and he's getting lazy and basking less. His basking side is 100 his other side is 75 and he hides in the cave on his cool side and lays flat inside it with his eyes half open. Im pretty sure its 1 of 3 things: he's hibernating, he's sick, or he's just lazy. Thanks!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
FfelixalEx":2lf42mhl said:
My beardie is around 4 months old and he's getting lazy and basking less. His basking side is 100 his other side is 75 and he hides in the cave on his cool side and lays flat inside it with his eyes half open. Im pretty sure its 1 of 3 things: he's hibernating, he's sick, or he's just lazy. Thanks!

It is not brumation, he is far to young for that. Could be one of the other 2 things though. Can you go over the enclosure for us please, in detail. :wink:

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
FfelixalEx":1hy6iem1 said:
I use a zilla dessert 50, 20 watt bulb. His basking is 105 right now and his cool side is 80
I would consider changing out the zilla light, you can still use the fixture I would get a Reptisun 10.0 of the same length. The desert 50's have had some known issues, and possibly what is going on in your situation. If the zilla light is a slimline then you may have to change the fixture too. Basking is okay where it is at but, if you can adjust to have it up a few° I would try to do so.

What has been being fed to your dragon and what is his substrate?

FfelixalEx

Original Poster
He gets crickets and waxworms and he has fresh water and salad every morning. Hes on repticarpet so he can't be impacted. He does not have spinach ever. I dust the worms and crickets also wIth calcium powder

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
FfelixalEx":20w34fiz said:
He gets crickets and waxworms and he has fresh water and salad every morning. Hes on repticarpet so he can't be impacted. He does not have spinach ever. I dust the worms and crickets also wIth calcium powder

This is good. Watch not to over feed the waxworms though, they are a fatty feeder and should be fed like candy (here and there). I actually learned recently as why not to feed spinach. It is because it blocks out calcium from being digested and dragons who are fed a lot of spinach may develop MBD as a result. Hmm lol just thought I would share that.
Also never feed avocados or rhubarb. As they are toxic to dragons.

I would still consider changing out the UV source. When I got my first dragon I had issues with him not eating, he also seemed lethargic. I was asked about what light I was using for UV and responded "Zilla Slimline". I was told to change out the light for a reptisun 10.0. After doing so (which I had gone and done pretty much right away) I found that not even 2 hours later my little man was up running around and starting to eat. :wink:

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
FfelixalEx":30mb6ml7 said:
He also had 100 mealworms over a 1 week period.

Has he been able to poop?
It is an honest question. Bearded dragons especially the babies should never get mealworms (unless they are the true mini mealworms, not to be confused with small or baby mealworms). The mealworm is a hard to digest feeder even for adult dragons. It can cause impaction of the digestive tract. Not only are those risks involved but, the mealworms hold very little nutritional value which is even more decreased by it's chitin shell.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How long has he been acting like this?

Are you going to change the Uvb bulb soon?
I agree with Michael, I wouldn't feed mealworms, there are much better options.

-Brandon

FfelixalEx

Original Poster
He pooped on my bed this morning and I'm gonna change the UVB to a reptisun 10.0 and I was told about the mealworms after he finished them so that was the first and only time I bought them for him. Thanks. Should he be eating a different worm? I think his behaviour May be partly because of the mealworms

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well he needs a feeder insect, not necessarily a worm. There are many options. Find an insect that is easy for you to buy then tell us and we will tell you if its a good feeder insect or not.

I'm very glad you will be getting the reptisun 10.0 That should help improve his health too.

-Brandon

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
FfelixalEx":3kkyvdiy said:
He pooped on my bed this morning and I'm gonna change the UVB to a reptisun 10.0 and I was told about the mealworms after he finished them so that was the first and only time I bought them for him. Thanks. Should he be eating a different worm?

He can eat small butter worms, small silkworms, small wax worms (like a treat), mini mealworms (http://www.minimealworms.com/ currently not shipping though) reptiworms/phoenix worms/nutriworms, small/baby hornworms.
:wink:

It is great you are changing lights. I hope to see pictures of your little one soon. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom