Brumation questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregcranston

Hatchling Member
Well it is around that time of year here in Melbourne, Australia that the weather is starting cool down about 6 weeks before the official start of winter and 3 out of the 4 of my beardies are showing signs they are wanting to go into Brumation. I am very happy for my big male to go into it, as he is of a good weight and age. My big female is of a good age, but maybe not quite as fat as I would like her to be, but i'm considering letting her go into brumation anyway. The other female has been a slow grower and is a bit smaller than I'd like her to be, and not as fat either. But she seems the most determined out of the 3 that it is almost time to go into brumation.
So my question is, should I let them start to go into it already, which means it may be around a 4 month brumation? What prep to people do, such and when to withdraw food? And how do people undertake their temp decrease, and what final temps do people brumate their dragons at?
I was thinking of having it 75 degrees up the warm end and about 68 down the cool end and then placing their sleeping caves in the middle somewhere, so daytime temps for the dragons should be around 71-72. I will not be allowing the night time temps to drop below 60 for them.
Any info would be appreciated, as I am a little duboius about doing it, as there are conflicting views here in Australia about whether to let your dragons go into brumation, or keeping them at the high temps all year round with no brumation. But in my experience, they seem to go into some sort of brumation whether you want them to or not.
My 4th Dragon I will be keeping at high temps, as he is far too skinny to go into brumation, even with my committed attempts to fatten him up.

It has been my experience that they will go into brumation whether we fight it or not...all 3 of mine just came out about 2-3 weeks ago.. the younger of the 3 is still sleepy on and off.....each one brumated differently, but they all were down since November...I would just let them do their thing...especially if you know they are in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom