Brumation question. Need some other opinions.

I have a newborn Egyptian Uromastyx that I bought sometime in August that started his brumation mid November. I want to say he's probably 8 months old at the moment of speaking? It's a little past mid January and he hasn't eaten a single bite ever since he started brumation. I've dripped fed him water through a syringe every 2 weeks, which he lapped up heartily. He openly refuses food even if I put it in front of his face. He's practically gone 2 months without food.

In terms of behavior, he comes out maybe 2-3 times a week for about 4 hours and goes back to sleep for the rest of the week. His temps at the hottest point hover between 110-120 degrees in the winter and the coolest part is around 70 degrees. His UVB and Powersun lamps are due to be replaced in February to match up with the year I purchased them. They've been reduced to turn on from 9am to 6pm. When he does come out, he'll usually only leave behind urate.

This is my first time brumating an animal, so it's kind of stressful not seeing my baby everyday and knowing he's starving himself. I have heard the reason they won't eat is because the food will end up fermenting in their stomach and make them uncomfortable. I just want to know if all of this sounds normal in terms of what to expect in a brumating animal. I'm really hoping he snaps out by mid February when I start to up his lights to 12 hours and increase the temps to 125 degrees. I just want to cuddle him :cry:

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
if he is brumating like if he has shown all the signs that he wanted to brumate he's most likely 1+year bc that's the age there able to brumate

ANormalGuy

Original Poster
if he is brumating like if he has shown all the signs that he wanted to brumate he's most likely 1+year bc that's the age there able to brumate
Strange. I got him in August of 2021 as a "CB Hatchling" and he's still about 5-6 inches long. This is the recent most image of him. Personally, I don't want him to brumate at such a young age, but I can't fight his nature and he's been hiding in his cave even when I boosted the temps temporarily.

Attachments

• image0 (10).jpeg
    image0 (10).jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 156

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Strange. I got him in August of 2021 as a "CB Hatchling" and he's still about 5-6 inches long. This is the recent most image of him. Personally, I don't want him to brumate at such a young age, but I can't fight his nature and he's been hiding in his cave even when I boosted the temps temporarily.
oh oh oh I'm sooooooo sorry i normally just assume that your asking about a bearded dragon but I really don't know with that guy but what I do know is that reptiles tend to brumate when there an adult and those guys aren't an adult until 3-5years sorry

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom