Brumation question - easy one

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
When your beardie goes in to brumation or semi brumation like my guy, what lights to you turn on daily.
I keep his heat lamp on 24/7 but am not sure if I need to turn on his additional light for basking or the uv light? I've been turning them on as well in case he wakes up and decides to go for a snack.

What do you do when yours go into full brumation? Lights or no lights?

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I've heard from different beardie owners (most of them experienced) in which they varied in their recommendations from turning off all lights completely to turning on UV light only to using an energy saving bulb in lieu of the basking bulb. If you beardie is still coming out to bask, it's best to turn on all lights. If your beardie is staying in its hide all day, it's up to you to decide how you want to do lights. Darwin hasn't left his hide in 3 days, so I've put in an old UV light of his and kept that on his normal lighting schedule. I'm going to put in a compact bulb soon, and use that instead of the UV bulb, just to stimulate natural sunlight (or as natural as it can get :D)

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks randommonks. I've also heard of owners putting their beardies in a dresser drawer why they are in a full brumation. When in a drawer, they can't be getting any extra heat or light. I'm just trying to converve electricity because it's pretty high. If I can have the lights off during this time, all the better for me as long as Houdini won't be affected in a negative way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom