brumation or........?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Hi there

So, my beardie hasn't eaten anything for three days now and sort of sleeping. I say sort of because shes hiding behind rock or on twine or at front of tank and one eye closed or both closed. I am not sure its sleeping or not. Sudden change in behavior I have to say. She is at the end of shedding but a very sudden change. She is currently watching me at the front of the tank. So I am in two minds about brumation.

The temps are 28 at cool side on a regulator and at the basking area it has different levels so it ranges from 36 - 42 she seems to understand where to go for when she needs it. Uv light is a repti sun 10, has ventilation and fresh veg every morning and crickets in the afternoon. Water is available but never drinks it. I will be taking her to the reptile vet tomorrow for a check up. So worrying :( :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A sudden change like that is a bit disconcerting. It's late in the year for brumation but it's not unheard of to happen at different times. Is her beard dark? That would indicate that she isn't feeling well. You could try taking her outside for a bit if the weather is nice and give her some natural sunlight and see if that perks her up. If you have an experienced reptile vet nearby it certainly wouldn't hurt to bring her in for a checkup.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She is dark green in the morning but that is being cool at night I gather. She perks up mid afternoon and goes back to a light color. Her beard doesnt look dark. She is actually is at the reptile vet as I type this. This morning she was wacthing me put her carrier together and she knew! Funny actually!

I will update later on.

Thank you

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay so I just got the word from the reptile vet.

Absolutely no problems
She is in very good condition
Number 2 is perfect
weighs 81g
He said eat or not eat is normal so not to worry about it.

I can just imagine her face when she gets back. It will be the biggest stink eye on record!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear about the positive prognosis from the vet! I'd use that weight as a baseline. Pick up a kitchen scale if you don't already have one and keep track of her weight. If you see it stable or trending upward, that's good. If it's trending downward, then the lack of eating could still be problematic.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yes the vet said the same thing :D

Actually just now we had her in her outdoor cage in the shade catching some rays and I walked out for five minutes and came back and she was on top of the cage!!! She found a gap and got out!!!! I coudltn believe it! her face was like "Dam it" hahahahahhahahaha

The wife went to grab her and from above so she went to bite but it was like a warning and then went flat as a pancake!! We got her to her tank as she was feeling a little cold and picked her up properly and no problems. It was quite amazing to see how they react when they feel threatend. Picking up from above is not the way forward! My wife was worried in case she ran off so grabbing from above was a mistake.

Anyway keep an eye on her weight now.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom