Brumation? or something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite

Hey, i have had my dragon for 2 and a half years now and this winter he decided to stop eating. It has been about 3 weeks now and he just wont be interested in food. He isnt moving around at all either. I read that it might be brumation but i just want to be sure. Me and my mum are starting to get worried and mom thinks i should just shut of the light and leave him be in the cold. I don't agree i think the light should be on more to get him more active and to eat something. Help please.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, we can run over your tank setup to make sure you have everything correct in your husbandry.
What type & brand of UVB Light do you use, a flourescent tube light or a compact or coil light? What type of basking light do you use?
What are the temps in the tank & what type of thermometer are you using to measure the temps with?
At his age, 2 years old or a little over, it is normal for them to want to brumate or slow down. They do that yearly once they get old enough. If he is maintaining his weight he is most likely healthy enough to brumate. Have his stools been ok, & did you get a fecal done prior to him slowing down?
That is usually my recommendation to get a fecal to make sure he does not have parasites or worms.
Some people do turn off all of the lights during brumation. That is fine if you want to. I prefer to leave a light on to regulate their day & night cycle & just in the case that they may come out & want to bask from time to time. What you can do is turn the UVB off after we allow him to brumate if that is what is going on right now. Then you can leave the basking light on, or decrease the wattage of it, if he is not basking much.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom