Brumating in summer?

Veda

Original Poster
This has probably been asked many times but I'm finding conflicting information. Some people say it's normal, some say to contact a vet immediately. So basically my beardie has been slowing down since late May (basking less, refusing to eat greens), and now has been staying in his hide for a week or two. He does sleep more, but he is awake in the morning/afternoon and will sometimes look around a little bit, but not move. Mostly not interested in food but if I offered him a worm he'd probably eat it. His color looks normal and he doesn't have a black beard. If I take him out of his tank he seems alert and will walk around as normal. I weighed him and he lost 5g but he pooped in the meantime so that's probably why. At first I thought it was because of the old UVB but it has since been replaced. The temperature should be fine as well.

I think he has done it before, although I didn't know it was brumation at the time and I was trying to "keep him awake" (now I know you shouldn't do that). First time he was barely a year old and I had just moved to a new place. It was kinda noisy so I thought that was stressing him out. I took him to the vet because I thought he was impacted (he wasn't) and the vet didn't say anything about brumation. It stopped almost immediately after we moved out so I thought he just didn't thrive there. Last year it was mostly my family taking care of him so I don't know all the details, but I think it started a bit later (around July I'd say?) and once again we were trying to "wake him up" but then gave up and let him be. It felt a bit more natural to do that since by that point it's gotten a bit colder outside and it made more sense that he might be brumating.

Bottomline I'm just worried since this year he started so early and it's the first time when I let him do his thing and it's a little scary seeing him stay in the same place for days. I am planning on testing him for parasites but it might be a while before he poops. So, is it normal behavior or should I be worried?
Oh and also he ate once during that time (greens and some repashy), should I try giving him a bath so that he will poop?
(Sorry if I worded something incorrectly, english is not my first language)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This has probably been asked many times but I'm finding conflicting information. Some people say it's normal, some say to contact a vet immediately. So basically my beardie has been slowing down since late May (basking less, refusing to eat greens), and now has been staying in his hide for a week or two. He does sleep more, but he is awake in the morning/afternoon and will sometimes look around a little bit, but not move. Mostly not interested in food but if I offered him a worm he'd probably eat it. His color looks normal and he doesn't have a black beard. If I take him out of his tank he seems alert and will walk around as normal. I weighed him and he lost 5g but he pooped in the meantime so that's probably why. At first I thought it was because of the old UVB but it has since been replaced. The temperature should be fine as well.

I think he has done it before, although I didn't know it was brumation at the time and I was trying to "keep him awake" (now I know you shouldn't do that). First time he was barely a year old and I had just moved to a new place. It was kinda noisy so I thought that was stressing him out. I took him to the vet because I thought he was impacted (he wasn't) and the vet didn't say anything about brumation. It stopped almost immediately after we moved out so I thought he just didn't thrive there. Last year it was mostly my family taking care of him so I don't know all the details, but I think it started a bit later (around July I'd say?) and once again we were trying to "wake him up" but then gave up and let him be. It felt a bit more natural to do that since by that point it's gotten a bit colder outside and it made more sense that he might be brumating.

Bottomline I'm just worried since this year he started so early and it's the first time when I let him do his thing and it's a little scary seeing him stay in the same place for days. I am planning on testing him for parasites but it might be a while before he poops. So, is it normal behavior or should I be worried?
Oh and also he ate once during that time (greens and some repashy), should I try giving him a bath so that he will poop?
(Sorry if I worded something incorrectly, english is not my first language)
Is the UVB your using a coil or a tube? Where in the tank is it? Incorrect UVB and placement distance can cause a brumation behavior- along w/ incorrect surface basking temps so lets get this out of the way first-- not eating another cause of incorrect lighting--- surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - they are the most accurate-- also baby dragons should not brumate --

Veda

Original Poster
Is the UVB your using a coil or a tube? Where in the tank is it? Incorrect UVB and placement distance can cause a brumation behavior- along w/ incorrect surface basking temps so lets get this out of the way first-- not eating another cause of incorrect lighting--- surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - they are the most accurate-- also baby dragons should not brumate --
It's a tube, Arcadia 12%. It covers around 3/4 length of the terrarium, its around 30-40cm above him depending on where he's sitting (it also has a reflector). I have one of those thermometers with a hanging cable, not sure if that's what you mean? He's around 3 years old now. It's just kinda confusing because I have the same setup the entire year and he's the most active in winter.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom