Broken off toe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie has a broken off toe. When I first got him, I didn't notice the toe like that. Its his long toe thats broken off. It seemed as if it was messed up for the longest but he was not acting as if it was hurting him. He acted fine. I had a strong feeling it was bad.

Today I came home from getting another dragon and noticed his head is sheddingm The wife and I were feeding them. Sometime later, I noticed the broken toe. He still seems fine but its sad to me. I was told when they grow bigger they do not regain lost limbs.

Will this affect him dramitcally later on in life? Or is it just cosmetic?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
It is common for beardies to loose toes. This happens most often when beardies are housed together. Hungry siblings often bite off one anothers' toes. Is your beardie housed alone?

Another possibility is that his feet were shedding and a bit of shed got stuck around his toe, which would cut off the circulation and cause it to fall off.

It shouldn't cause him any troubles, as long as it doesn't become infected. Is it bleeding? Keep it clean. If there's any sign of infection, take him to the vet.

dathrillwill

Original Poster
I bought him at Petsmart... enough said on that right!!! :roll:

I know learned my lesson on buying reptiles (and some fish) from there.

Yeah, I noticed later on that week, it was like that. When I first looked at the BD's at Petsmart there were some with nipped tails and stuff. But his was still intact, just kinda messed up looking. Now its gone.
Poor X-oshi... :cry:

However his toe.... I do kinda wonder if it was something to do with his shedding.

It is not bleeding or anything... so I would assume. However, I think I will give all baths. Not all of my beardies are housed alone. But they stay well feed. I built one home. Im now building another. (I should post pics of it on site.) So they can't regrow any toes huh?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
It sounds like circulation may have been cut by a stuck shed.

Baths are a great idea. My beardie really enjoys splashing around in the tub. :D

Tails are the only regenerative body part beardies have, and they can only regenerate tails if they have "dropped" them; if a beardie is grabbed by the tail, it will "drop" it's tail. It will grow back, but it will be duller. The entire process is painful and bloody, from what I've read. :shock: Anyways, toes cannot be regrown.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Thats interesting, ive neaver heard of beardies dropping tails??

has enyone had this happen in captivity??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry, but you are mistaken. :(
Bearded dragons do not have the gift of "tail autonomy" sorry to say. There are only a few species that have that gift, which include some gecko species & tree skinks I believe. Once their tail is fractured at a fracture plane, they do not have cells that "seek each other out" to fill in & regrow in that manner.
So, once their tail or digits are gone, they are gone & will not regrow.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No worries, I just didn't want you thinking it was possible. I wish that it was, but, unfortunately they cannot regrow tails. :cry:
Where had you heard or read that from, or do you remember?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom