Breeding Superworms - A work in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
nicksmom":2k8lmyv2 said:
Nice work. Please keep updating. I'm considering breeding them myself. I am currently breeding dubias.

Thanks. :)
Unfortunately, dubias are not allowed in Canada or I'd probably start breeding those.

I have a colony that I have been working on since November. It's coming along pretty well, it is just taking a loooooong time. Does anyone know how long it takes for supers to reach a good feeding size?

Spike is only 12". Can I breed superworms and feed them to him while they are small, say an inch or so without the risk of impaction?

He has some juvie food mix that came with him that has mealworms, dead crickets and pellets. He eats the worms out of there with no issues and will eat 15 - 20 medium crickets if you let him.

I would like to breed them if I can do so without risking Spikes health.

thanks
Willis

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Willis. From what I've read, there's part of a beardie's intestine that's curved and won't straighten out until they are at least 17" long. I wouldn't take the chance on severe impaction. My little guy's been in and out of burmation since November and has only been eating a few at a time, perhaps every other day or so. My concern is he hasn't pooped in about a week now and even warm baths don't help.

Anyway, great news. I finally have beetles. I did a regular check of my worms and have found about a half dozen pupas and 3 of those are now beetles. Yay. I checked on them tonight and they are not moving much and appears to be dying. I hope not. Maybe they're just very tired from the metamorphasis. Wow, I remembered that from high school biology. :p

Here's a few pics of the pupas and new beetles. I never realized how big they are.

DSCN1174.jpg

One of the pupas.
DSCN1173.jpg

She/he couldn't seem to turn his self over. I had to come to the rescue. lol
DSCN1175.jpg

The one from above is on the right.
DSCN1176.jpg

All 3 are now this colour.

cybercat

I will soon be taking on this project. Have feeding racks to set up first. I breed mice now for my snakes. I will not do roaches. grew up in SFL ewww. I will stick with the worms. :)

cybercat

shootthebunnies":3ip8ah4t said:
Spike is only 12". Can I breed superworms and feed them to him while they are small, say an inch or so without the risk of impaction?

He has some juvie food mix that came with him that has mealworms, dead crickets and pellets. He eats the worms out of there with no issues and will eat 15 - 20 medium crickets if you let him.

I would like to breed them if I can do so without risking Spikes health.

thanks
Willis

Acording to my breeder. The 1/2 inch size is fine when they are that small. You can now order those in that is my plan. Feeding a mix of worms that size I got an order going in this next week with mulberry for silk, phoenix and supers all the 1/2 size.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
You know... if you start a superworm colony now, by the time you have worms Spike should be big enough to eat them. This is a slooooowwwwww process. :D

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
NeosMom":8zddfzlo said:
You know... if you start a superworm colony now, by the time you have worms Spike should be big enough to eat them. This is a slooooowwwwww process. :D

I couldn't agree more. I started months ago and am now only getting beetles.

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guess what I found today when I turned on the lights!! Two Pupa! I pulled the dead/dying worms and fed the dying ones off to Star. Replaced them. Soon I will hopefully have beetles!! :D

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's great news. Congrats. Mine stayed as pupa for at least a few weeks. Score I seen any beetles. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom