breeders are noobs discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
iight bearded dragons be around for sometime now and now people want to breed them im not hatin on them but y breed something we had for so long, y not breed iguanas or something. breeders price for a beared dragon cost to much 250 for a pet and u can use that money for something useful. for 250 dollar u can buy 2 or more iguanas for that price. or u can buy 4 bearded dragons at petco or mart. I think beared dragon breeders are noobs and need to lower there prices.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Read through this thread: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138818
This should explain it all pretty well.

Anyways, it costs A LOT more to produce quality beardies than you think. If you get 25 babies a clutch, and have 4 clutches from one breeding, thats 100 babies. Each of these babies will eat 20-100 crickets a DAY, plus you will need quite a few set-ups to house them in, UVB lights, ect.
There is a reason that Petco babies are so cheap: They are terribly inbred, and have tons of health problems. They also arent fed nearly enough, dont get the right supplements, and dont even always have UVB lights. You get what you pay for.

And its not like you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a beardie. Ive seen plenty of normal morph babies going for $50 or so on here. If you dont want to pay for a $250-some Leatherback or what ever, simply dont get one. :wink:
There is always the option of adopting too. I have rescued/adopted both of the beardies I have had, and they are amazing. The boy I have now is actually a retired breeder, who his owner had to give up because she was pregnant. My first baby, Wink, was a rescue that Petco gave me for free, because he was going to be put to sleep. He ended up only living for 10 months, because he had so many problems, both caused by Petco and from horrible genetics.

As for the "why not breed iguanas" thing, I personally dont think that anyone should be breeding them. There are so many unwanted iguanas that need good homes, its ridiculous. Everyone seems to think that they are "disposable" pets. Just because you can breed something doesnt mean that you should.

Wishbone1234

Original Poster
ok i would only buy a bearded dragon for 50 buck at least if it a rare one i would understand that but most people got regulary dragon for 250 dollars that to much for a lizard u can buy a dog and some food for that much. if they include uvb light and etc.. i would understand also i dont agree with u one the unwanted iguanas part cause there are less iguanas then dragons so y not breed them, if they so disposable then we would see losts more in WASHINGTON DC! IF u have the right requirement y not breed them?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I dont normally weigh in on posts that are poorly typed out, however you ask a very good if uneducated question. The reason you dont see very many iguana breeders is very simple. They are a large potentially aggressive species of reptile, that cost more to breed then it cost to import them. I can simply import 100 iguanas at 5 bucks a shot sell then for 20 a pop and watch the local animal shelters receive the survivors for the next year. If you feel a breeder charges to much for a dragon simply dont buy.

Wishbone1234

Original Poster
ok first of all dont go on my typing i like to make typin simple so if u got a prob with that shut the **** up second, iguanas are not aggressive they only agressive if we teach them to. it cost more to breed bearded dragons so y not put time in for iguanas to. And u rite im definitly dont wanna buy one im just sayin why have a price of a lizard so high.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Wow, no need to get so defensive. No offense, but your posts are pretty hard to read.

... Have you ever seen an iguana? They can be very, very aggressive, and they get very, very large, and can and will inflict serious damage. Not to mention that they need enormous cages (think room sized) and go through veggies like you wouldn't believe. They are not a responsibility that should be taken lightly.

If you are going to complain over the price of a dragon, you probably shouldn't be getting one. Buying the dragon itself (Even a $250 dragon) is the cheapest part of owning one. No matter how much you pay for the dragon itself, the cost of caring for it during its life time will by far out-weigh the purchasing price. There is buying the initial set-up, replacing UVB lights twice a year, buying all those live feeders and salad, vet bills, ect... Caring for a beardie for 10+ years can cost thousands.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Wishbone1234":9fpff7en said:
ok first of all dont go on my typing i like to make typin simple so if u got a prob with that shut the ***** up second, iguanas are not aggressive they only agressive if we teach them to. it cost more to breed bearded dragons so y not put time in for iguanas to. And u rite im definitly dont wanna buy one im just sayin why have a price of a lizard so high.
Because possibly we like bearded dragons????? Duh!...myself I'd not own an Iguana however I have 11 resident beardies and 4 hold backs from last year. I have small grandchildren the size and claws on an Iguana I'd personally not trust around my 2 y/o grandson.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Hi there! Welcome to BD.org!

I'd like to address your comments a little bit at a time:

Wishbone1234":y3oab93q said:
ok first of all dont go on my typing i like to make typin simple

I'm sorry to say, but even though your unique style of typing is easier for you, it's harder for us to read it.

wishbone1234":y3oab93q said:
so if u got a prob with that shut the ***** up

Please, keep it civil. We are responding to your comments and opinions which you willingly posted in a public forum. By doing so, you are inviting the opinions of anyone that pleases to come in here and respond. Not everyone will agree with you, and will, quite politely I am sure, tell you so.

second, iguanas are not aggressive they only agressive if we teach them to.

I have not personally met an iguana myself, but I'd like to direct you to a website I've encountered while myself trying to decide on the issue of iguana vs. bearded dragon: http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/index.html. There is a TON of information in this website-- dig around!

it cost more to breed bearded dragons so y not put time in for iguanas to.

Perhaps not. Again, look at the costs just to KEEP an iguana. Now multiply that by however many babies you get. It's not cheap to breed any critter. Both of these reptiles require the same basic care as babies, so, in my humble opinion, it would cost more than I can afford to breed either.

And u rite im definitly dont wanna buy one im just sayin why have a price of a lizard so high.

See above. :wink: In order to have healthy, happy babies, you need to put a LOT of money into them. Breeders need to make up for these expenses.

everhood13

Juvie Member
TROLL ALERT! Aggressive poster who doesn't want a dragon in the first place copy catting a post by another member that got a rise out of the group.

quigleysmom

Juvie Member
Ok I have tried to stay out of this one, but dang it I just can't keep my opinion to my self. I am glad to think you would be researching before buying an Iguana or a bearded dragon, but come on. People pay thousands of dollars for a purebred dog. I don't hear you ragging on them. It is called capitalism and a free market society. It is also called return on investment. Any one who willingly starts a business and puts in time, effort, and money on growing their business DESERVES to make a profit off of their investment. I really cringed over the $60 I paid for mine, but now that I have experienced one I would gladly pay 3 or 4 times that for one from a good breeder that I could be relativly sure it would be healthy and not inbred like crazy.

Further more, we do not really know each other on this board. Sure we post comments back and forth and you can bet that some people on here have a lot more knowledge than others, but that shows in the context of their posts. I am going to assume you are young and the style of typing is closer to texting than just short cuts. Keep in mind that you are not texting us and the only way for us to gain any understanding of who you are is from your posts. When you use texting in the way it doesn't make a good impression. Many of us just don't have the patience to decode exactly what you are saying. I text all the time so understand you, but just a word of advise, texting wont get you far when it comes time to go to work. Speaking as an employer myself, if someone came to me applying for a job and wrote that way on their application I would not hire them for fear that they did not know how to be professional when they communicated between my company and my customers. Also, being hostile towards people that you were inviting comment is not a smart thing either especially if you ever do get a bearded drangon and need help. Good luck and I do hope you find what you are looking for. I personally have really loved having my beardie even with the cost involved and this is a great group of people on here.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
quigleysmom":76bqtkl3 said:
Ok I have tried to stay out of this one, but dang it I just can't keep my opinion to my self. I am glad to think you would be researching before buying an Iguana or a bearded dragon, but come on. People pay thousands of dollars for a purebred dog. I don't hear you ragging on them. It is called capitalism and a free market society. It is also called return on investment. Any one who willingly starts a business and puts in time, effort, and money on growing their business DESERVES to make a profit off of their investment. I really cringed over the $60 I paid for mine, but now that I have experienced one I would gladly pay 3 or 4 times that for one from a good breeder that I could be relativly sure it would be healthy and not inbred like crazy.

Further more, we do not really know each other on this board. Sure we post comments back and forth and you can bet that some people on here have a lot more knowledge than others, but that shows in the context of their posts. I am going to assume you are young and the style of typing is closer to texting than just short cuts. Keep in mind that you are not texting us and the only way for us to gain any understanding of who you are is from your posts. When you use texting in the way it doesn't make a good impression. Many of us just don't have the patience to decode exactly what you are saying. I text all the time so understand you, but just a word of advise, texting wont get you far when it comes time to go to work. Speaking as an employer myself, if someone came to me applying for a job and wrote that way on their application I would not hire them for fear that they did not know how to be professional when they communicated between my company and my customers. Also, being hostile towards people that you were inviting comment is not a smart thing either especially if you ever do get a bearded drangon and need help. Good luck and I do hope you find what you are looking for. I personally have really loved having my beardie even with the cost involved and this is a great group of people on here.

Agreed

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just a reminder, this is a PG-13 forum, rude behavior and bad language is not allowed here. As the site policy states, "if you even think it is a bad word, do not use it." I also wanted to mention that the Administrator and Moderators can still see the starred (*******) out words so think before you type. This thread is being watched. I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish by starting this thread.

I also have to agree with some of the other members posting here, it is very hard to read "text" messages so some members probably tend to ignore your questions/posts rather than trying to decipher them. So, if you want your posts to get attention, I suggest you take the time to spell out the words to make them easier to read.

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
Hmm I wonder what you wanted to accomplish by essentially telling a bunch of beardie lovers that beardies suck . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom