Brave little soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'll start from the beginning, Jan 2012 I got a baby frilled dragon that had been fed (rather large looking for her size) cochroaches and i failed to notice a slight lump on her back, where i was to later discover one of them had bit her and caused a rather nasty wound that quickly gathered unshedded skin into a tight lump. I noticed she was very small only 7 grams but was told frillies are slower growers than beardies.

Skin problems became apparent about a month later and her vitamins were replaced and she was given a high dose vit a mix. this seemed to settle the problem for a while and then 5 weeks ago came back with a vengeance...the tail began to shed and within a day it was like someone turned the shedding process off. the skin was thick stick and then my worst nightmare the end of the tail began to change colour.

I whisked her straight away to my most trusted vet practice. (more expensive but with far more experience than any other reptile vets i've come across in the UK) It was confirmed as tail rot from an infection but we were not sure which came first. either the infection from the bite caused the shedding issues or the shedding issues caused the infection. I'm beginning to think (and hoping) for the former as we are doing everything right from the temps to the humidity to the daily baths and sprays.

She was places on a twice a week course of anti-biotics for 3 weeks and all seemed well. with bathing and patients we finally removed all the shed from the poor girls very sore tail and only lost 15mm of tail furthermore she was gaining weight fast and well with a cute plump little belly. But alas when the final injection came the tail started changing colour again and was straight back on the phone to the vets. She was straight on another 3 week course and is so brave she hardly flinches at all when she's injected....although she gets a nice treat of sausage (tiny bit) or locust for being such a brave girl. not sure where she'd come across pig in the wild but she goes ape for sausage and mushed bananas. So cute!

Well final week is approaching, her cage is bare (to prevent further infection or contamination...something shes not happy about) and all seems good again fingers and toes from humans and bearded sisters are crossed, as if this does not work the last option is to remove the tail to prevent it spreading to the body :(

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
My fingers are crossed and all my reptiles toes too for that matter, that things go well. Brave little soul indeed and quite the fighter too! I really hope she pulls through, my thoughts and best wishes are with you.

-Kaleen

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much. Injection number 11 today so next visit is with the vet not the nurse but there is a hitch the end on the tail (the very tinyest tip) has gone black and lost its feeling i was super hoping it was just a scab from when she lost a bit of her tail before. It is an improvement but still not the best i dont know why the anti-biotics arn't working :( find out wed what the damage is but i have a feeling the decision will be to amputate but i'm not sure how much tail she'll lose :(

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Original Poster
there was improvement but he still wants it off i've convinced him to try different anti-biotics on a week by week assessment......slightly more improvemnet but still no cure :?: :(

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
I'm so sorry, are you thinking about going ahead and amputating yet, or continuing to try antibiotics? How long will antibiotics keep it from spreading out of the tail?

-Kaleen

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm still hoping it will get better and the vet will tell me when its time to give up. probs after the 3 week course is done or if it gets worse. It's looking better when it sheds but then it comes back :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom