Brand Spankin' NEW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Ello everyone!
I just signed up to this forum yesterday and love it. I have been researching beardies for a few months now. I have a buddy who's g/f owns one (basically married not official) and doesn't really do much with hers anymore (not that it's neglected or anything but just isn't as interested in them as she used to be). Long story short he called me when I was at the park with my son and told me he talked to her and basically offered to sell her dragon to me simply because he knows I would really give it the attentions and all that the she doesn't anymore.

So I'm looking for some advice/ opinions in this situation.

The situation - I wanted to get a baby and build all my own stuff but, now that he has offered me hers I'm not sure what to do.

He is 5 yrs old has small nip on his tail from being a baby and a nail on the back foot missing(no pic's yet will post when he sends them). He is still cared for and handled because my buddy takes care of him basically. They are giving me the 40gal breeder (I wanted to make a 4'x2'x2' originally) and all his lights, food, vitamin powders, (everything they have) + the dragon for $100.

Obviously cheaper and less hassle then if I were to make all my own stuff. I'm not worried about the $ for a dragon my sister in-law works at (actually takes care of theirs) and told me she could let me have one for free if one has a small nip on the tail or something that makes it "imperfect".
He wants me to come over and check him out and all the stuff so I would be satisfied and all that. So what should I look for? Obviously a checkup by a vet.
My main concern is he is 5 years old so half of his expected lifetime.

Other questions comments advice pls
Dane

Gail

BD.org Addict
Hello and welcome!

Sounds like you found a really great deal on a dragon that needs a home. I understand wanting a baby to raise but you are right about the hassle plus babies are jumpy and not much fun to hold until they reach a good size.
The main think to look for is a alert dragon who can walk/move properly. He should have bright eyes and a mouth that fully closes all the way around.
Make sure to get a list of what they feed, what supplements they use and the brand of UVB light they have so we can double check that everything is the best it can be.

TwistedCrayon

Sub-Adult Member
You have to weigh the pros and cons of both situations...

If you get your buddies dragon, it's an adult so you don't have to worry about all the baby worries. Being new to dragons you have a little wiggle room to learn, without to much adverse effects, provided he is healthy to begin with. You'd be giving him a loving home and more interaction, but he is 5 years old, and could be halfway through his life, but depending on the care could be less than half.

But there's the baby aspect, cute, wittle, young. More time consuming, lots of live feeders 2 to 3 times a day. Daily baths, not much room for error and playing with things till ya get it right. Hydration is key here. They are quick and generally unpredictable.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Original Poster
how do I post images directly to this post? I don't have a a website with they photo's he sent me to link. Do I need to contact an advisor? He sent me 3 of the dragon ones of the tank and stuff coming.

TwistedCrayon

Sub-Adult Member
Make a photobucket account. Up load pics. Copy and paste the bottom link ( they give you 4 different one) into your message. Click preview before you submit to make sure that it is there..... =) that is the simplified way....

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Just wanted to pop in and say.... I think someone on the forums had a 15 year old dragon. They are expected to live for a ridiculously long time, so 5 years is actually slightly young for a dragon.... plus, you have to think.... where will you be in 5-10 years? :wink: I'll just leave it at that one question, since I could break it down further (but I won't because you don't need to be lectured by a 14-year-old :lol: ).

Food for thought! :D

Jacqui

CodyK

Hatchling Member
Welcome!

My dragon is also missing some of his tail and he is missing most of his back foot. He moves around pretty good so you dont have to worry about the whole moving around part. I know mine was the runt so his expectancy is reduced by about 2 yearrs :( I think that everything they are giving you is a great deal! well worth 100 dollars, seeing as you would be spending close, or more than that for a baby one.

Well hope you make a good decision =]

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah didn't think they lived more then 10 so thats a good possibility. I'm pretty sure I will be taking his offer. Plus I want one I can take with me all over and like it was posted you can't do that with a baby.

Pic's of the dragon - "Puff"
no close ups but he wanted me to come check him out also

Pic's of his tank. He just used his phone but just to get an idea.

Only thing I was concerned with is that he said they don't really keep him under a uvb light much anymore. I'm guessing they still need the light? Also I wanted to get a UVB meter to test my lights since the issues I saw on the posts about the bad bulbs. I saw them for around $150's give or take a few bucks.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey everyone,
Just got back from seeing "Puff" in the scales (insert forced laugh here). Well he is cared for but not the way any of you would really approve. He's given about a dozen or so crickets every week or two and they are just put in the cage and he eats them when he feels like it. She said he isn't much of a hunter and only eats them when they walk in front of him so she has to pick the dead ones out through out the week cause they go under a rock and stay there. He has a bowl of pellets and water in there as well. The cage was just cleaned before I got there so it was OK. He is on sand. He looks very healthy due to the fact he doesn't seem to be feed very often and I didn't see a salad but she did mention that I should give him one about every other day or so. They said he sleeps most the time but probably just out of having nothing to do. He's got room to fatten up a tad I think but he was very active when we got him out. Moving around and such looked very healthy. Alert, eyes were clear, mouth shut the entire way, no signs of anything wrong (still gonna take him to the nets when I actually pick him up), movement looked fine also. They also give him a pinky about once a month or so as a treat.

I did get a back story though she had got him when she was with her x boyfriend who was into reptiles so she got Puff, simply cause the boyfriend was into reptiles. They seem to know the basics but that's it. I got 3 Pics of him and I hope to bring him home Sun or Mon.

My plan is to get some Blaptica Dubia Roaches to feed (less chance getting loose then crickets) I will probably get some crickets also and feed him both to make sure he likes them with the adjustment of moving and all. Gonna check how much he should be eating and how often I can't remember off hand but I now its at least every other day and not to leave things in the cage. I was going to use tile instead of sand so I might 50-50 to see if he's OK with that as well. Salad every day and she did mention the correct types (I have the care sheet saved with they types for staple and once in a while). I am planning on having him out with me a lot though so how should I do that 30 min a time or just see how he reacts? He didn't seem scared or anything with all the people in the room focused on him. It was My buddy and his g/f (tech owner), his two boys 5&6 their little boy 16 month, my son 3 and myself. I just plan on having him with me in the living rooms and such, hopefully the weather stays nice and I can take him out before in gets in the low 70's. Is it OK to have him out if its low 70 but humid (PA we have 70's but feels like 85 – 90)? If all that he is fine with maybe take him with me when I take my son to the park. Comments on steps to get to that level of activity?

I think that's all comments I'm sure you'll let me know.
Thanks again,
Dane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom