Brain Damage Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red is my year and ten month old beardy. Long story short she drowned as a baby but was resuscitated. Ever since then, she has gotten a bit worse but then the getting worse just stayed the same. She gets her hands caught in her beard and they have a "seizure" (not really but it looks like one), she goes lopsided while swimming if she doesn't have her floaties,and isn't able to get up when she falls on her back, which is sometimes often. Does anybody know any way to help more anymore? Could she have brain damage from lack of oxygen?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, It's really great how you resuscitated her after the drowning and I'm sure that is exactly what caused her problem. From what you say in your other post she seems to function as well as she probably can. I would very strongly advise you to keep her out of the water, she is at much greater risk of aspirating water in her condition and also getting ear infection from tipping over and getting water in it. Just offer water orally via syringe or dropper on her snout and only put her in the water if she gets dirty.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome and keep up the good work with your baby. :)

By the way, be sure that all of your lights + calcium dusting are on par with beardie care just to be sure there is not a calcium deficiency.

SweetSpicyDragon

Original Poster
AHBD":s6yzvbh0 said:

By the way, be sure that all of your lights + calcium dusting are on par with beardie care just to be sure there is not a calcium deficiency.

I;ve been doing that, actually! I got some pictures of her setup as well if you're interested. Her day bulb is a 100 watt bulb with 10% Uv, hologen

86034-5087576783.jpg

86034-9482522779.jpg

86034-230342900.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor baby! She is so lucky, having you help out so much for her.
Which UVB 10% tube brand are you using, the Reptisun or the Arcadia?
Your basking bulb is a halogen light also?
The setup looks nice & simple for her, too. I am sure the drowning incident did have a lasting effect on her, but it seems like she is doing very well.

Tracie

SweetSpicyDragon

Original Poster
The tube brand is a Reptisun, and yes it is a halogen light.
Red has her good days and bad days, yesterday was a meh day for her but seems like today will be one of her better days

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I tried to do the same with Rex when she suddenly took extremely ill.

I know how to do CPR for humans and had to improvise for her. Unfortunately her lungs collapsed after my trying so hard to save her for several minutes (felt like 30 mins) and i could not find any further signs of life , no response to having her inner thighs tickled , no response from her eyes.. I suspect her problem was her heart gave out and she may have some kind of birth defect internally. Probably no one could have saved her.

Would be good if someone who knows how to do CPR on a dragon could post a video or detailed instructions with diagrams photos.

I hope Red recovers and returns to his old self soon. I just am not sure of a beardie's regenerative capabilities (especially if braindamaged by an experience that deprived their brain of oxygen too long).
If he's doing his normal beardie things , basking, walking, showing an interest , eating, pooing , thermoregulating and recognizing you and responding how he did before , I'd say he wasn't effected too badly and has good prospect of relearning anything he has forgotten or lost. I hope so anyway.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SweetSpicyDragon":1eeigwm6 said:
AHBD":1eeigwm6 said:

I;ve been doing that, actually! I got some pictures of her setup as well if you're interested. Her day bulb is a 100 watt bulb with 10% Uv, hologen

86034-5087576783.jpg

86034-9482522779.jpg

86034-230342900.jpg
No BB so that's a good sign and her colouring indicates she's happy on her mound and on you .

SweetSpicyDragon

Original Poster
Aw, I'm sorry for your loss of Rex, it's so hard when they die. You did the best you could, I bet.

I don't think Red can recover anymore than she already has. But she does show interests in things as well as bask, eat (sometimes, she's difficult with me at times) , poop, thermoregulate, recognize and respond. Walking she has problems with but I'm working with her on that (She uses her front legs to kinda drag herself while moving her back legs like normal). She also has some problems properly taking in air. She has to be propped up kinda on the turtle and rock to help her breath while she sleeps. Sometimes when she's gasping I'll massage her chest to help a bit. She may improve but we'll have to see in time.

One thing about beardies is that normal CPR techniques (such as placing your hands on the center of the chest, pressing deeply into the chest) do not apply, since they are obviously very different, especially their ribs and breast plate. You have to place your thumbs on the sides, about a inch from the middle of their chest, not the exact middle. Their lungs are more on the sides than center. The rest of how to do it is kinda difficult to describe, as the exact pressure you need to apply is difficult to word.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SweetSpicyDragon":1n3zz3z0 said:
Aw, I'm sorry for your loss of Rex, it's so hard when they die. You did the best you could, I bet.

I don't think Red can recover anymore than she already has. But she does show interests in things as well as bask, eat (sometimes, she's difficult with me at times) , poop, thermoregulate, recognize and respond. Walking she has problems with but I'm working with her on that (She uses her front legs to kinda drag herself while moving her back legs like normal). She also has some problems properly taking in air. She has to be propped up kinda on the turtle and rock to help her breath while she sleeps. Sometimes when she's gasping I'll massage her chest to help a bit. She may improve but we'll have to see in time.

One thing about beardies is that normal CPR techniques (such as placing your hands on the center of the chest, pressing deeply into the chest) do not apply, since they are obviously very different, especially their ribs and breast plate. You have to place your thumbs on the sides, about a inch from the middle of their chest, not the exact middle.<<< that's pretty much what I did .... I could hear air going in and out (if it was quiet).... my fear is I damaged her lungs in the attempt to keep her breathing ..... And yes I tried to gently breath into her nose too .... but by then her lungs had collapsed , no more air flowing on compressions.... so thought then she was gone....

:(

This is 2nd lizard that has died in on my chest (Lucky was the first).

Their lungs are more on the sides than center. The rest of how to do it is kinda difficult to describe, as the exact pressure you need to apply is difficult to word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom