Bones' first walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have pictures, because he simply WOULD NOT ALLOW IT, but I bought Bones a lizard harness and took him on a small walk today (literally from my apartment door to my rental office to deliver checks, because it's cold out!). After 7 minutes of trying to get the stupid harness on, I finally got it fitting snuggly around him, and out the door we went!

The first thing he did was make a break for it. He ran and licked some fence posts and when I came to collect him off of my neighbor's stoop, he actually puffed his beard at me! "NO MOM PLEASE I AM HAVING FUN HERE, DON'T TOUCH ME!! WHAT DOES THIS SIDEWALK TASTE LIKE FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME?!" he surely was thinking as he glared, puffed and fervently licked the ground. I picked him up, dropped off my checks, and we walked back to the apartment. He was scurrying all around the parking lot, and was clearly not used to the idea of being restrained just yet. To quote Lady Gaga, he's "a free b***h baby". We had a small diversion just before getting back into the apartment when he decided that in the spirit of being an independent lizard, he was going to try to eat my plants and poop in my mulch like every cat I've ever owned has done. So I guess I had it coming.

I'm really scared that somehow I will hurt him or he will pull too hard while attached to his harness and hurt himself. Any passing advice for handling a leashed beardie for a n00b reptile owner? I've obviously never owned any animal that required a leash. :lol:

kiara

Hatchling Member
What kind of harness is it? Does it look kind of like this?

I have a tendency to just let Ryuu scurry til she hits the end of it... she runs in place for a few seconds and realizes she's not going anywhere and then tries a slightly different direction. Obviously don't pick her up by the harness, but I don't think them getting to the end of their leash and scurrying around will hurt them... it's just frustrating.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
great story! so, how exactly did he not allow you to take pictures? did he jump up and knock the camera out of your hands? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom