bok choy mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Somehow I got my "feed occasionally" and "feed daily" veggies mixed up, and I have been feeding Scaley bok choy and butternut squash daily for the last week.

I spent a bunch of money on veggies to make a puree, and he refuses to eat it even when I withhold roaches for a frighteningly (to me) long time. So apparently there's something in it he doesn't like.

I decided to offer him one veggie at a time to determine what he likes and doesn't like. I started with squash puree. He gobbles that right up so long as I put the spoon immediately in front of his face. Little lazybones.

He also enjoys bok choy and will actually go to his salad bowl to get it. But of course, today, when I went to check the list for something new to add to the mix, I noticed that bok choy is actually an "occasionally" food and not a "daily" food. :oops: :( I'm getting collard greens today, but here is my question:

How much damage could I have done feeding him the bok choy this last week? He's eaten about half a leaf altogether. (Yeah, when I say loves and enjoys, I mean that relatively speaking. :roll: )

What's the likelihood that he'll refuse other veggies if I stop giving him bok choy because he's holding out for the thing he likes?

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I don't think half a leaf will do any damage at all. "Feed occasionally" is a bit ambiguous. To me, it means make that a small percentage of the salad/purée.

It's hard to say if he would refuse other greens. It just depends on the dragon.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
"occasionally" veggies are to discourage folks from feeding them for months on end, since some of them have lower than idea nutrients or even high levels of anti-nutrients. A week wont harm anything. I personally wouldn't have a problem including bok choy regularly, the only thing counting against it is goitrogens and that's going to be in any leafy green. Not sure why its not a daily on the beautiful dragons chart.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I don't think anything bad will happen at all. Bok choy is fine, I don't know why it can't be fed daily like Tater said :D You're doing a great job, keep it up!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use it on regular rotation. It's fine as a staple when included in a varied salad. You haven't done any harm.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My mob get about 1/2 - full leaf of buk choi (only the green part) if it's a large choi, smaller choi (sold as baby buk choi here) they get 2 - 3 leaves , this is each , every couple of days.

I also use buk choi greens as part of my cricket gut load, the choi never goes to waste, the crickets will eat it when it's too limp for the dragons and skinks (or us humans) to eat.

Apart from dandelion greens and nasturtion greens , this is only green they like. I can't always get dandelion or nasturtion greens.

I think buk choi should be "Staple" in the list.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good to know this wasn't a horrible mistake and that some feel bok choy can even be a staple. Thanks for the reassurance, and I'm sure he'll be glad to hear he gets to keep eating it some. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom