Bogie's Bizzar Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
OK maybe it's just because he just came out of brumation. Or he wants a new uvb bulb,ARG how do you tell a dragon his light is on back order? I'm a baaaad beardie slave. :oops: Maybe he's just gone nuts?

Bogie has started frantic glass dancing. He won't stay in his viv for more than it takes to warm up and he is going nuts to escape again. He explores the whole main floor and always ends up at the back door. If we don't put a perch up for him to see out he climbs the lace curtains and peeks out the window. If it were sunny I would understand. But this door looks out on our back porch with trash cans and dog house, oh yea and SNOW! :shock: It has been snowing here for 3 days. The temp finally got above freezing for the first time in, what 4, 5 days. I have had to put a rice sock on top of the perch so he doesn't freeze to the glass! He even starts to glass dance at the door. He can't get any more OUT! :lol:
No, that is not the door he goes out in warmer weather. We use the front or side door for that. His little nails on the wood and linolium make it sound like I have one of those little yippie dogs running around. click, click.click,click all over the house, who needs a bell?
He hasn't eaten much in the last few days, even turned up his nose at PWs and cilantro! :shock: His urates are great and there is even extra water, but not much poop. The little there is looks and smells normal. :bleick:
He is straining to poop. That ain't right. I did get a bit of apple sause down him yesterday and today.

He is only about 10 months old. No he can't be more than that, he was only as long as my finger wher we got him. His temps are spot on, digital w/t probe on basking. His repti-sun 10.0 was over the 6 month mark so I changed it for his old 5.0. It was used less than a month. Still waiting for my Mega ray. :banghead:
Baths every day or two (loves his bath) Food dusted etc... His color is super nice orange beard and creamy white tummy. No lumps or bumps inside that I can feel. He is just deternined to go out and freeze himself to death!
The poor thing runs himself to exaustion. Is this normal too? If so I'll stop worrying. I await the wisdom of those with more experience.

Sandy H

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
He is starting to get little scuff marks on his chin. How do I stop him from beating himself against the glass?
Anyone?

Sandy H

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hey, barbara gave me a heads up on this thread.

my new rescue Buddy does the same thing and he already has a big knob on his chin from doing that. he was already like that when i got him but i dont think hes making things any better by glassdancing and rubbing his face on the glass... im lucky in the sense that he doesnt run around when i let him out. i let him sit on the couch as long as he wants(usually a couple hours) untill he begins glassdancing to get back IN his cage :roll: ... after warming up and pooping he usually starts glass dancing again at which point i take him back out.

i can only imagine if he wanted to run around instead of sit, that would pose a problem. it sounds like your doing everything right, i think Bogie is just full of energy and curiosity right now.

what i sometimes do is cover all 4 sides of his tank when i dont want him glassdancing, depending on how hot his tank is i might even cover half of the screen top. that seems to calm him down abit, though if he wants out he wont stop glassdancing untill i cave in :| ...

i really dont know what else to suggest, let us know how things go :wink: .

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I know it's prob just "Spring fever" But he is driving me nuts. I was lucky yesterday- the temps actually got over 50! I put him in his outside viv on the porch and turned 2 heat bulbs on him. He moved around the viv a bit and was mostly content to bask in the sun. One of the kittens decided he looked like a snack and chased him across the porch. I didn't know he could black beard that big or that dark! :shock: I was right there and rescued him before the kitty could pounce. The other kitty loves to curl up with him under the light and sleep, this one will have to be kept far, far away! Anyway today he went nuts to get out of his viv as usual. But after his usual run around the house, he climbed on his rice sock on his perch and just looked out the back door. I hope tomorrow is nice again. I know Sunday will be back in the low 30's. What a temp. roller-coaster! :banghead:
Maybe I should send you my PWs. I got 200 last week and he won't touch them. No supers either for the last 3 days. He has been eating a bit of salad everyday. Good poops though. ah well.

Sandy H

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
He passed a few broken bits of kitty chow yesterday. He had been in the closet where we keep the cat and dog food. Won't eat his favorite PWs, but seems to have pigged out on Purina. :lol: He usually passes it w/o trouble, I guess he didn't chew as well this time. No I don't feed him cat food, my DD has a tendency to drop it everywhere when she feeds the kitties. And Bogie is good at getting into off limits spots. He is manic lately. It's like he has been drinking espresso, doubles. :lol: I just wish he wouldn't bang on the glass so hard. Not just his tank, but the door and the window behind the couch too. He really wants out! :banghead: What can you give a dragon to calm him down? A tiny damsel in distress? :roll: OK, It's late here, I must be tired.
Oh, well maybe his megaray will get here tomorrow and he will be happy to bask in his viv. Yea right, I am dreaming.

Sandy h

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Sorry I took so long to get here. :laughing6:

Them young men beardies have some raging hormones don't they. :lol:
You even have to feel sorry for them. :(
If we weren't busy feeling sorry for ourselves having to deal with them.
I would say your little boy has woken up as a little man. :laughing6: :headbang:
Try to give him as much roaming time as your can hopefully he will wear himself out.
Have you taken him outside so he can feel that it is cold out there still?
For momentary releif put his blankie over him and see if you can't calm him down with a time out. :wink:

This behavior will usually lighten up in about a month then he won't be so spastic. :wink:

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well, that's what I thought at first, but he doesn't black beard or head bob. He just franticly runs around searchind for a way out. Yes, I did take him out to show him it is still very cold. It didn't faze him. :D
Is there some kind of chin pad I can put on him so he doesn't break his jaw on the glass? :lol: :mrgreen: Wouldn't that be cute, a beardy chin pad? Oh, well, maybe it will warm up again today and I can take him out for a bit. Right now he is sitting on his rice sock at the back door window curseing winter and the cold. :D

I'm thinking I should design one of those cat climbing trees for dragons. We could place one in front of a window with a heat lamp clipped on it. Ya' know that's not such a bad idea. My next project. After I finish painting the living room, put down the floor boards and make some stuffed beardie toys. And 50 other projects. I need a clone, or at least a house keeper. :lol:
Thanks for the input guys. Later,
Sandy H

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I keep telling him he is only 10 months old, he isn't ready for a "date" yet. Typical teen- he doesn't listen. At least he hasn't gone after the kids stuffies or the remote yet. :lol: I am sooo not ready to explain THAT! :lol:

You should see Daniel following him around. Instead of crawling on hands and knees he assumes the "down facing dog" possition and runs around the house behind Bogie that way. :laughhard: Sometimes he climbs on Daniels or Katherine's back and gets a ride around the house that way. :lol: They are keeping him somewhat distracted. He runs to his viv or hides under the couch when he has had enough. Yesterday I found him hideing in the doll house w/t a bunch of Barbies. I was reminded of that scene in ET when he hid in the closet with the stuffies. Bummer my camera is broken. :banghead:

Oh, in case anyone cares, Bogie is short for Bogart. Here's lickin at you kid. Yes I am giving away my age sorta. I love the classics.

Sandy H

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:laughing6: Yeah! I'm still laughing about the remote control. :laughing6: That was just tooooooooo funny! :laughhard: I'm glad that there were no children here at the time. I still can't avoid laughing everytime I see Frank pick up that remote though. :laughing6:

Checker's was just about 9 months old when he came out of his first brumation which was last year and his behavior was just as bad then. I notice that this year(knock on wood) so far the glass dancing isn't so bad.
But he is bobbing everything an everybody......human, critter, or object. I think they may have used Checker's as the background for the footage shoot they did Saturday. He was back there just bobbing away at the camera man. :lol:

Well of course even if I didn't know your age I would have had some idea. :wink:

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I wish I had a local friend with an older female. I'd be willing to let him try. He has been played with lots today and had a bath. Now he is glass dancing in the back door and beating his chin up. Arg :banghead: I wish it was warm. I'd put him outside.
Ican't imagine going through this with as many males as you have! It must be nerve wracking. :shock: Are you breeding anyone this time. I know Miss Piggy is off limits, poor thing. But what about the others? Do the guys get a chance? :lol:

I am still amazed that Frank will touch that remote! :laughhard: Men are almost as strange as dragons. :lol:

Sandy H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom