Bob's not having a very good day....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynsie

Bob has been pacing all day so I went to get him out. When I did his beard was already completely blackened. I put him in the shower in hopes that is would calm him down, but it didn't. So I took him outside to get some sunlight and he didn't seem to like that either. He puffed all up at me. I put him back in his cage and he's pacing again. He's really dark in color too. Should I be worried?

Straight out of the cage:
DSC07907.jpg

Outside:
DSC07914.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there, something has certainly gotten him upset or he isn't feeling good. I know you have a T-Rex on order, but what are you using now for a basking & UVB? What are his tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? There is a chance that he is glass dancing because he is too hot and is trying to escape the heat. Have you bathed him lately, if he is over heating, he could be dehydrated too which can cause all sorts of behavior. Giving him a shower may not have hydrated him thoroughly so putting him in a sink with warm water up the top of his front legs with a cloth on the bottom to help him feel more secure may make a difference. Keeping him in there for about 15 to 20 min should help.

Did he eat for you today?

Lynsie

Original Poster
Right now he has a Repti-Glo 8.0, I know, bad. I got a new thermometer coming too. These are the same lights he has had on him for months now though. He is eating though. He finally settled down for hte night but tomorrow I will try the soak instead of the shower.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, if it's a Repti-Glo 8.0 fluorescent, that really isn't a bad bulb. Or, is it a coil/compact bulb instead? How close is the UVB to him? Is the UVB over 5 or 6 months old? What wattage basking bulb are you using & what size is the tank? Does he usually bask right under the bulb? What type of thermometer are you getting? That's good that he ate some & you managed to get him settled down. Please answer the questions and let us know how he is tomorrow.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Repti-Glo should be fine at that distance. It's actually a decent bulb, the Repti-Sun 10.0 or an MVB are better. It's the Repti-Glo 10.0 fluorescent that has caused some health problems. That thermometer should be good too. What size is the tank? Do you have the UVB and basking bulb alongside each other? If you could find out the wattage of the basking bulb it would help us know if it might be too hot or about right. The info should be on the side of the bulb.

Lynsie

Original Poster
It's a 40 gal tank. They lights are right next to each other. I'll look at the wattage once it cools down.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, just trying to figure out if he's getting too hot. The darkened beard is a sign that he is/was uncomfortable, so trying to rule the easy things out first.

Lynsie

Original Poster
The light is a 100 watt and it says 'all things nature' or something like that on it.

Bob seems to be acting a bit better today. He was basking a bit ago and now he's doing his daily bobbing around the cage.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear that Bob is acting a little better today. If his basking light is quite high, you might want to try using a 75 watt household light bulb instead and see if he stays under the lights for a longer period of time. Once you get the good thermometer, then you'll know exactly what wattage bulbs works the best. Thanks for the "Bob update." :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom