blue eye bearded dragons Marek's/herpies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodbankdragon

Sub-Adult Member
I have never seen a blue eyed dragon. I don’t believe they exist.

I have seen dragons with white eyes. I have seen dragons with photoshopped eyes.

Recently I have seen dragons with eyes that look diseased.

After year and years of no blue eye mutation reproducing I feel even stronger that there is no such mutation. We don’t have brown, green, blue, ect.

Dragons have white irises with varying degrees of vascular activity. (White to red irises)

This photo may help to understand what is going on.

Ocular_Marek%27s_disease.jpg

Normal chicken eye on left. Eye lesions and irregular pupil caused by Marek's disease on right.

After discussing this photo with several breeders disease is the universal conclusion.

Steven Barnes
http://www.bloodbankdragons.com

Gail

BD.org Addict
Last I looked dragon weren't chickens and if it is mareks, wouldn't it spread since its so contagions? Has anyone done any kind of analysis of the blue/grey eye to check for herpies or lymphoma? Do you know anyone with a blue eyed dragon who has gotten sick or developed tumors?

bloodbankdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
herpies has been identified in repitles, fish, and birds. Liver cancers have been found in bearded dragons though I don't know of any that have been tested for Marek's/herpies.

Im so glad you pointed out that a bearded dragon is not a chicken. lol

Steven Barnes

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Isn't the point here to say that a dragon with blue eyes may not have a blue eye gene but yet some other anomaly or possible disease. I don't think he was comparing dragons to chickens or trying to diagnose a disease but showing a good example of how an eye without the same vascular activity can appear a different color. I'm sorry but until I see a dragon born raised and reproduce a blue eyed offspring I won't be giving into the hype.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Saying something isn't so just because it can't be reproduced doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Paradox cornsnakes exist and they can't be reproduced since its a genetic fluke.
I have no idea what makes a dragons eye appear blue but it seems silly to says its a disease when there is absolutely nothing to support that idea.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Totally agreed! But the claims of the blue eyed dragons being sold are as a reproducible gene at exorbitant prices. I think we all are excited to see the day when a true blue eyed dragon comes about that can be bred and reproduced. But no one wants to see people claiming to have something they can't back up and selling the offspring to unsuspecting buyers.

Gail

BD.org Addict
So true, people shouldn't sell any kind of reptile with certain traits unless they have done breeding trials but we all know greed always wins over honesty. I haven't seen any blue eyes for sale, who is selling them?

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
I agree! This dragons eye is true blue... no white silvery pigment causing it to look blue. I have had one hypo trans girl with the same eyes... unfortunately her eyes went all black with age. If this can override the translucent gene turning the eyes black and then be reproduced to this effect that would be awesome! I can't wait to see this guy grow up!

I wish Dr. Chris Stancel would post his finding and pictures... hint hint ;)

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
Ok so my opinion for what it's worth. I was at the expo and the had the "mythical" blue eyed dragon, star there. After talking to the owner I am more apt to believe something caused this to happen. In nature it is more likely for something to be born with blue eyes and then change to a diferent color. Because blue eyes is the lack of some thing that comes in later. (small tidbit I picked up in genetics class never was good at proper names) this dragon did not get its blue eyes until it was almost a year. They where charging $5 to have a picture with it an you could not get a good look at her before the photo op time. I am not saying that I think blue eyes are not possible but I believe that if it is , the eyes will be blue from the start. Some one said that the cornsnake isn't reproducible (I have know clue about this) my guess is that it is born a cornsnake and doesn't magically change. Blue eyes coming in later is highly unlikely. I am in no way an expert. And this is just my two cents for what it's worth but with what I have been taught this is my chain of thought. Please correct me if I am wrong. I will not be offended but would like to learn from your experiences.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Wow! $5 for a picture! That's classy.

I think your genetics lesson gave you some good insight as to the true issue that has been discussed here. Most of us really only question the validity of a blue eye gene. And as you said this should be something they are born with and can be passed on. So far that just hasn't happened. There are old threads here on bd.org where people had some blue eyed dragons that were very hopeful but they did not pan out.

My personal big issue is with breeders who would like to sell them for high $ before anything is proven.

And so the long wait continues... in the meantime we will keep playing with our leathers, and dunners, and silverbacks ;) you know the stuff we can reproduce ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom