Bloody stool -Update. 2nd vet trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the meds two days ago, and I was going to go check on her, and there was some stool without blood! I thought I was just a one time thing so I waited three days and all of her four poops have been blood free! She is more active and loves to chase her crickets around. She just finessed shedding, but I don't think that would have caused the blood, right? Im so happy! I think I should still give her one little dose just in case.

Mariah94

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was finally able to take Chomper up to a second vet for a second opinion. The first vet did a fecal float that didn't catch anything, and my girl continued to go down hill.

She had stopped eating, went from 260 to 180 grams in a matter of 3 months, become dehydrated so easy (we would give water via syringe but she still would be deydrated)

Today we took both of my girls up about 2 hours away to an exotic-only vet. Although I didn't agree with some of the husbandry/diet issues, doc was great. They managed to get enough fecal for a direct smear fecal exam. They found significant numbers of flagellates in her system.

She's been prescribed fagyl, panacure, an antibiotic, and given carnivore care. I am adding a probiotic with this of course.

I've done a little research on flagellates and her symptoms are spot on. I just wish the first vet fecal had caught it...she's been wasting away :'( and I had become convinced it was a gi physical injury or something. So glad I got answers...I hope the meds work.

I'm interested in any input or experience on the parasite. Any info or things we should look out for...I really want to see things turn around. Do these medicines fix it 100%?

Malachi got an exam as well. Was told she was overweight and needed to cut off on the worms. My vet for some reason thinks horns and silks are fatty worms..but we are cutting back regardless. She prefers her greens anyway.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The hornworms & silkworms are definitely not fatty. She still needs protein as well as greens too so don't cut her back too much.
Those medications will help to lower the levels & should get rid of the flagelletes. I am sorry it was misssed initially. They usually have to be found on a fecal smear to be detected.
Just be sure everything in the tank is clean & if you have a water dish in the tank, remove it for now so bacteria doesn't build up in that. Flagelletes cause blood in stools, diarrhea & loss of appetite, too.

Are you giving probiotics also while she is on the meds?
Is she starting to do better?

Tracie

Mariah94

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We did a full clean out of both cages. Should we be worried about my girl Malachi getting it? She's had clean healthy poops and a fine appetite so far.

She doesn't have a water dish, and we are using a probiotic from beardeddragon.co

I haven't noticed any improvement yet, but it is only day two of the meds. I have noticed there hasn't been any blood in the stool since the first dose two days ago. No appetite yet though.

Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you have not noticed any blood in the stool since the start of the meds. It may take a bit for the appetite to come back with being on medication, also. Just be sure to keep her hydrated as much as you can.
It can transmit to your other dragon so it is best to keep everything clean & disinfected daily. Though since they are not sharing a tank the infection rate is greatly reduced!

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom