Blood in stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby35

So my beardie and my family just took a week trip to our shore house which is 2 1/2 hours away. He was kept warm for the trip down. This morning we fed him sweet potato and kanteloupe and he had about 20-25 phoneix worms and a nice helping of horn worms and was out the entire day. He pooped this morning (10:30) and it was orange seeing he had a lot of orange foods. It was quite hard and looked a little dry, but it was a big poop. He did a smaller one at 12:00 that was smaller and and wasn't dry (it looked normal and orange once again) it looked like he just had a little left over from his first poop. He "pooped" once more at 2:00 and it was water and urniate (the white part of the poop) and then he just did it now at 6:30 but it had mucus and the first spotting of blood. It wasnt bright red but it was like red orange.

This has happened before and when I went to my vet (he specilizes in reptiles and is my breeder as well) he said otis probaly had a very hard poop and probaly ripped his coacula or something around it.

im not worried i just want to find a way for him to not do this, or find something to help him poop or heal his cut quickly. i also and 3 hours from my vet on vaction and cant see him until september 2. any help would be great

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

There can be a little bit of blood that occurs when they have to strain to go to the bathroom. The cloaca wouldn't have torn, but the GI tract can get irritated by hookworms, or a heavy infestation of worms or parasites.
Also, the rectal lining could have gotten irritated which is in the area of the cloaca, which is just the opening. Did you look to see if there was a prolapsed area?
How often do you give calcium & does he have a UVB light?
You can use vaseline or ky jelly on that area if it looks red or raw, or even antibiotic ointment would be fine, too.
Try to increase his baths & oral fluids for a few days to see if that helps, also.
Is he eating any greens too?

Tracie

Gumby35

Original Poster
he has a reptisun 10.0 (2 30 inch) he gets calcium daily dusted on his worms or crickets, he is eating fine with his veggies and is drinking on his own and i bath him daily and there is no prolaspe and he has no parasites since he had a check up 2 weeks ago

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Otis doing?
How old is he & what is his size?
It is a possibility that the hornworms may have been a little large for him, maybe.
Are his urates always hard? If so, maybe cut back on the calcium powder a little to 3 times per week to see if that helps out. Try to increase his oral fluids, too for hydration status also.
If he was clear of worms or parasites, then it is likely due to straining & harder urates.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Gumby35

Original Poster
he is 2 years old and 16 and a half inches (he had part of his tail amputated, about 2 and a half inches because of his siblings nipped at his tail), he is doing better his poops have no sign of blood and he is still active and he drinks water all day when he wants to, his urates are usaully soft, its the actual poop that is sometimes hard

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you haven't seen anymore blood.
Then the hornworms should help with some hydration as they are higher in water content, too.
Maybe try to increase oral fluids also though just to help with overall hydration.
It sounds like he has a great appetite though.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

This is my first post on a forum, correct me If I'm doing anything wrong, thanks :)
I have had my dragon Reptar for a month now, He has a Reptisun 10.0 tube uvb, a 40 gallon breeder, toilet paper for substrate, his hot side basking spot is 103 measured with a probe thermometer, I dust his crickets daily, he eats collard greens every day as well. He poops daily and they were all great until two days ago :x. He has had about 5 poops that look fine but have some blood around it! Also during his bath today he pooped like he normally does and I could see the blood coming out of his vent, and after there was some blood on him once I took him out to replace the water. I think he has pin worms :banghead: Any help?

Would It be okay If I get him the Pancur and weigh him on a gram scale and give him the right dosages? I know he has pinworms all of the signs are present. I can't afford the vet bill, its 60 dollars for the doc to take a look at him and 25 for the fecal. Does anyone know how often you give the dragon his meds? Daily? Weekly?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he likely has pinworms or hookworms that are a heavy level. Do you already have panacur?
Do you have the paste or liquid?
Do you also have probiotics to help him out while he is on meds?
I normally recommend giving once every 7 days, for a total of 3 treatments. I can dose him for you, but need the concentration of the meds as well as his weight, too.
Have you done a fecal on him at home yet?

Tracie

Thank you very much for the fast response! This is my third post so I still don't know what I'm doing haha. I do not have the meds yet, they shipped today. Its the liquid, and Im getting some soy yogurt for her probiotics. I haven't done much research on the probiotics, yet. Im hopefully getting a gram scale tomorrow from Walmart, so ill have to update you once I get it. Ill definitely have one before his meds get here. Do you think he'll be okay until the meds get here? Im extremely worried! She's my homework buddy :D I love her so much and don't want to loose her because I decided to give crickets a try! Ill be able to tell you the concentration of the meds once they arrive. I can't seem to find it on the website. It does say 10% though? Could that be it? What should I be doing daily with her until the meds come? I bath her when I get home from school and theres already some stool In the tank, how will I prevent her from reinfecting her self? I don't have access to a steam cleaner either. Thank you so much! :blob5:

Also she won't eat in front of me :( She will eat one cricket that I dust with calcium and gut load with fresh veggies but won't continue to eat on some days? I know babies can eat up to 50 crickets multiple times a day! Its not that I'm no offering it, I have enough she will only eat one or four crickets if I'm lucky in one feeding, and ill offer more in about 4 hours and she will only eat 1 or 2. She was raised on mealworms so she prefers supers which she can digest fine thankfully. Sorry for all the questions :shock: Ever since she's been having blood in her stools sometimes there only the pee, the urate I think it is with blood. Its not a lot of blood but It definitely is blood. She will poop and everything, and then blood will come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom