Blood in our males poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had our beardies since late Jan this year, and they were doing fine. Havoc our male shed 3 times in Feb and went from 12 1/2 in. to 13 1/2 in. In that short time. About 2 weeks ago we notice he looked thin and that our female was always laying on him and just seemed to be the boss. We bought them together so at the time, we didn't think it was a problem but we kept an eye on it. However we noticed he wasn't eating as much (crickets and greens mostly mustard) and I wasn't sure who's poop I was cleaning. We separated them as soon as we could afford a new tank (40 gallon breeder) and all that goes with that. He's been in his new tank since Sunday and I did get him to eat superworms but only 7 and no greens, no poop the next day. Mon. he only ate 4 supers and no greens gave him a warm bath and massage a little poop that night. Tue he wouldn't eat at all very dark in color, no poop. Wed didn't eat his greens again and when I checked on him at 7pm there was some poop with what looked like blood tried, tried to get the doc but they had just closed. I gave him another warm bath and massage he pooped in the water didn't notice any blood. Offered him food but he wouldn't eat. Today didn't eat greens and when we checked on him at 3:30, there was poop but it also looked like there was blood in the watery part. Looked around the cage more and notice on his basking spot it looked like there was little bug pieces all over the place. Almost like clear with red tinged diarrhea down his rock. The bug pieces were more like he threw up than pooped them. Called the vet waiting to hear back but can't get in till MON!! Any help would be appreciated.

substrate was the coconut husk stuff, it is now non adhesive shelf liner don't know what it was before we got him. They are both about 9-10 mo old. Don't know his weight. The temps in his cage are good 90-100 hot side 80-70 cool at night cage is 70. I know some of you are going to complain about our lighting choices but we get our lights from the same place the St. Louis Zoo does, with that said, we have reptiglo 10.0 and sunglo 100W because the 150 is to hot for him he likes it cool than the female, she has all the same except 150w sunglo. Digital thermo. with wire and sensor tip at bout end of cage. I think I have answerd all the questions I've seen asked of others who needed help if I forgot anything just ask.

Cora
3 human kids
3 cats
2 beardies
1 husband

LokinStuckyn

Original Poster
OK update I got him to eat 14 supers tonight. Hand feeding him is the only way I've been able to get him to eat. Again any ideas about the blood would be great. Since the vet never called us back we talked to the people at our reptile store and they said that sometimes when they are stressed this can happen and he has had the dark marking on his chest off and on. Anyway any help or ideas or this happened to me would be great we are very worried about him he is such a sweety.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
all i can say is dont trust you local pet store, unless you 100% sure they are legit, because most of us have recived horrible information that has put our beardies in grave danger? just be persistant and call the vet back to check, or call a different vet, even if it a father drive, you need a vet to look at this, it doesnt sound good thats for sure.

hugs
-chancellor

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Yep, blood, loss of appetite, fluxuating appetite, loss of energy, loss of color, stress, etc are all signs of parasites. Blood could even mean he has some big nasty tape worms...

I be sure he had a good basking spot up to about 105-110.

Also, at only 13 inches, you need to be careful with superworms. They can cause impaction - especially if temps are too low and he's not digesting the shells well enough.

I'd get fecals done on both of them.

Keep the temps up, make sure he is close enough the UVB source, and do 20 min soaking sessions in warm water daily.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If there is that much blood in the stool, I would be very concerned about parasites, flagelletes, or amoebas which in high loads will cause blood. Hookworms will also cause blood as well if they are in high counts, too.
He needs to have a fecal done on him, also. Did you notice if he has to strain to go to the bathroom?
Also, did he ingest any coconut husk? That could have impacted him.
As suggested, he is too small to be eating superworms. His intestines have not straightened out enough for him to be able to pass them as easily as he should. We normally recommend waiting until they are around 15-16 inches in length.
Also, I am very happy that you did separate your male & female dragon since there were dominance issues early on.
Do you give calcium supplementation on a regular basis?

Tracie

LokinStuckyn

Original Poster
OK, so, here is another update. The vet called this morning and wanted me to bring them both in this afternoon, in one of there ER slots. Only could get fecal sample from our female Freya but she showed signs of hook worms, pin worms, and round worms. So we are treating them both at the same time. The doc has Havoc on a 3:1 herp/carnivor liquid food we feed him twice a day until he gains some weight back. He was only 1.49 grams, she is almost twice that and he used to be bigger than her. We really just thought it was stress from her being bossy. Oh yeah and they have mites also.

Yes we use a reptical and herpivite supplement. Reptical every other day and herpivite once a week. I asked the doc about the supers, he said since thats the only solid food we can get him to eat they are fine. Once he is feeling better we are going to see if he will eat roaches more. Tip to tail he is about 13 and 3/4.

I also have to give a big praise to our repti vet! He only charged us for seeing Havoc :blob5: even thought he took care of Freya also!! :D I thought that was pretty awesome of him it saved us like $50! :blob8:

LokinStuckyn

Original Poster
OH! for the Temp question his hot spot stays at about 100, as he doesn't like it hotter and will not stay on his basking rock if it goes above about 102. He is very sensitive which is why we just thought it was all stress related.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great to hear that you are getting them taken care of now. So he prescribed Panacur then? The hookworms are most likely the culprit of the blood in the stool as they tend to tear the GI tract lining & irritate it pretty badly.
Wow I was going to say he did not weigh much that would have been crazy! That is really good he only charged you for Havoc & not Freya that was very nice of him for sure!
The Carnivore Care is very good & it should most definitely help him out. You can give Freya some too if you want to, it wouldn't hurt her.
Those temps are fine, no problem. Some dragons just do not like it much over 100 anyway.
Let us know how they are doing.
To get rid of the mites, bathe them, & make sure you take everything out of their tank & bake all of the wood items at 250 for around 45 minutes. You can soak the wood first, then bake it. If you have loose substrate, change that out & replace it with non adhesive shelf liner, or paper towels. The mites usually will run up towards the head when they get in the water.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom