Black soldier fly madness

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I had a container of about 200 BSFL but they grew at rates quicker than I could feed them at, now I’m left with 30-50 adult flies. Is there any way I could… Breed them?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven’t tried breeding them but I feed the flies often. They are a very favorite treat. I think there used to be a guide on here for how to raise them from worms but I don’t know more than that. The flies don’t live too long once they reach that stage.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Lol I struck out twice 🤣, come on Claudiusx lol. 🤪😜🤪😜

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can breed them, they are slightly dependant on weather and location though. And you're not gonna want to breed them inside. It needs to be outside unless you have a warehouse that you don't care about getting stinky.

That's why your current location and weather are gonna matter. You can feed the flies food scraps. They are good composters. You're basically going to be making a big compost pile to breed them. The flies will lay their eggs and the larva will eat as they hatch.

It's a lot of setup and trial and error to get right. But once you do it's pretty hands off besides actually getting the larva out.

I tried it once. Wasn't worth it for me.

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
You can breed them, they are slightly dependant on weather and location though. And you're not gonna want to breed them inside. It needs to be outside unless you have a warehouse that you don't care about getting stinky.

That's why your current location and weather are gonna matter. You can feed the flies food scraps. They are good composters. You're basically going to be making a big compost pile to breed them. The flies will lay their eggs and the larva will eat as they hatch.

It's a lot of setup and trial and error to get right. But once you do it's pretty hands off besides actually getting the larva out.

I tried it once. Wasn't worth it for me.

-Brandon
Alright, then how often should I feed him the flies? I give him around 5-6 a day at the moment

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom