Black Scales on back? *pics included*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger87

I've just recently started to really notice these few black, wrinkly (dead-like?) scales on Riza's side. I can't recall when I first noticed them, maybe a month or two ago?
And then, of course, ( I don't know how noticeable it is in the pictures ), she's a little bruised from being gravid. And if she looks a bit thin in the pictures, it's because she had just laid her eggs. The black spots really stood out to me afterwards when I was soaking her 'cause she's so pale.

Any clue what the spots are? Do I need to worry? Should I make a vet appointment? She hasn't been in a few years because she's been fine. I know you should get a fecal every year, but I'm just afraid they're going to tell me she still has high levels of coccidia. We treated her for it back in 2011 when we first got her. It cleared up and she got better, but she still had high levels, despite normal behaviour and non-smelly poop.

She's been acting fine (as fine as a gravid Dragon acts), and hasn't been eating much lately (again, because of being gravid). And her poop's been pretty normal.

She's on tiles with a Repitsun UVB (I believe it's a 10.0?), and her basking heat I've been trying to keep around 100.
She normally eats mustard greens with acorn squash and then the occasional superworms with a dubia or two.

And I would venture to say she's around five years old. I've had her since the beginning of 2011 and the person at the pet store we rescued her from said she was probably a few years old.

d7hdpw1

d7hdprt

d7hdpqf

d7hdpr8

If the pictures aren't showing, they can be seen here: http://sadict.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps They're the first four pictures.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They could be a possible fungal issue, but not sure. It would be good to be proactive & gently dab some anti-fungal cream on it daily, just to help out in case it is a little fungus starting.
It could also be just changes in pigmentation also, which can sometimes happen with age & shedding.
What are the humidity levels in the tank?
I am sure she will gain her weight back now that she has laid her eggs.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Ranger87

Original Poster
What kind of anti-fungal cream would be good to use for Dragons?

I'm not sure what the humidity levels are, how would I check something like that? I can't imagine it'd be very humid in there, but it's definitely something I can check. I suppose her salads could cause some humidity since the greens are often wet when I put them in her dish...

She ate some worms and bugs today, but left her salad untouched (aside from throwing it around).

She just leapt off her rock and ran at the glass towards me like she wanted out, and now she's a bit antsy. Her vent's a bit swollen still so I'm wondering if she's still got an egg left to lay, which isn't unusual for her, I've noticed.

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
hello there. C:

My Spikey has a few black scales on his back too. and one on the bottom of his tail.

But he had these for a few years now and it did not spread, and his behaviour and appetite haven't changed either. Might be burned scales though. i'm not sure.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The greens/salad wouldn't increase the humidity to levels that are too high though.
Sometimes they can have pigmentation changes for no reason, just genetics, etc.
Usually, lamisil or monistat are routinely used for fungal issues along with a diluted betadine bath, daily.
I hope she isn't retaining any eggs! How is she doing today?

Tracie

Ranger87

Original Poster
She's doing alright today, thanks.

I was planning on cleaning her and her cage today (she's got some ick on her from egg laying and got it all around the cage). But after she soaked for a bit and I went to wash her, she decided she had another egg to lay and had that. And then she kept acting like she had another and her vent kept swelling a bit as if she was going to have another, and she hasn't yet, so I put her back in her cage and she's been sitting on her rock since.
She ate some bugs, and that's about it.

And thanks for the names of a few things for fungal stuff. I'll have to make note of them and look into them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How many eggs has she laid total? Is she done laying?
I am glad to hear that she has eaten a few insects, also. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Ranger87

Original Poster
Surprise of all surprises, Riza actually ate all her salad today while I was gone at work.

She's laid a total of around twenty eggs this time around, which is pretty normal. Normally she has anywhere from 20-22. The swelling's gone down on her vent, so I think she's done.

I do have to poop her in the next day or so if she doesn't go. XD Which just means bathe her. We'll see then if she's had an extra egg or not...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great Riza ate all of her salad!
Well, 20 eggs is a good number to lay, how is she doing today? Hopefully she is done layinig now!
Did she enjoy her bathtime also?
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Ranger87

Original Poster
She's doing good, as far as I can tell. I've been away from the house most of the past few days with my work schedule, but she seems normal and as she's always been.

We did have bath time today and finally cleaned up the cage from her egg laying. She wasn't too thrilled about being put in the water today, but (Dragon poop alert, TMI ahead) after swimming had some big poops and got rid of other stuff that looked like leftover egg stuff. It was kind of a pinkish-tan colour that's not normally in her poo, and since she hasn't really poo'd since her eggs, I assume it's leftover from all that.

She seems back to as normal as she's been.

Thank you for your concern and posts and help. =)
As far as I can tell, she hasn't had any health issues since when we first rescued her 1/1/11, (I don't count the bruises the poor thing gets during gravid season) so I was just curious about the discolouration of those few scales.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear that she is doing so well! :D
She didn't enjoy her bath time then? Poor girl, some just don't like baths. I am sure her system was cleaning out from egg laying.
I am happy she is back to normal now. Let us know if you need anything.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom