Black Bearding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, when and why do your bearded dragons "black beard"? My 2 1/2 year old male is not an aggressive dragon in the least, but he occasionally has a black beard for no apparent reason. He doesn't act sick, he doesn't puff up, sometimes he acts somewhat agitated (glass dancing) but not always. He doesn't head bob. Sometimes I *think* he get upset if he sees my box turtle with a worm (and he wants it?) or he just wants attention. He stops and calms down if I pick him up! I also *think* he is sometimes just getting dark when he is basking under his bulb in order to soak up more rays, or something like that. I've looked on the web for info on why they do it, but I'm wondering if they don't do it for other reasons that just being angry or sick. (And I don't have a female dragon in the house either) I am wonder what other beardie keeper have observed?

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
So many reasons... stress, scared, annoyed, sick... if he does it a lot, then worry. But otherwise, it's normal behavior. :) We all get moody sometimes.

imderanged

Original Poster
Thanks. He's not doing it so often that I am very concerned, I am just curious about why they do it. I've read that it can be that they are angry or sick or in the mood to mate. I was wondering if they do it for other reasons too, like just to attract more heat or something like that. I am really interested to know what other keepers have observed in their own pets. They all seem to have their own personalities. I may be anthropomorphizing Vladie a bit but sometimes I think he just does it for attention because he wants to be picked up and cuddled!

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Oh yes. Beardies have personalities, 100%. Anyone who says they don't just doesn't get it.

Yes, they do black beard for mating purposes, too - but not to attract more heat. It's a behavioral display only. :)

Mostly it's because they're annoyed or stressed. A good way to tell is to see if your beardie has stress marks on his belly/underside. They look like spots. They usually glass dance for attention, but they don't usually black beard for attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom