Black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessiepa

Original Poster
I copied and paste twice and I see it is not showing up :( it shows up when I send it but later when I check if there's replies I notice the pic isn't there anymore :(

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I can see it, it looks like a hard urate, which is the 'pee" part of the poop, could have been stuck in there and caused a part of the impaction. What substrate do you have him on now? Is it solid, as it should be to prevent him licking anything loose as they do lick all the time in their tanks. And getting the T8 into the tank is a great idea. It's a Reptisun, right? Really good tube for him. Did you call the vet about it, the picture turned out fine, you should send it to them so they can see what it is, and figure out a way to get him to pass it.

I'm glad you're getting Tracie's probiotic, she makes it herself and it's wonderful. My Imp, who's just over a year old, had alot of trouble when I brought him home from the pet shop last January and that helps him digest really well, so that will help your boy, too. Critical care is really good, you can add the bee pollen into the critical care, add some water and feed it to him, he'll probably like it better because it's sweet. I add butternut squash to the critical care, as well as bee pollen, add water and mix it well with a whisk, I also add Carnivore Care to add more protein, even though mine do eat their bugs. Hornworms are great for him because not only protein, but calcium and lots of water. Baths every day will help keep him hydrated while on the meds.

You're doing everything right and I'm sure, once he's off the meds and that stuff is passed, he'll feel much better, poor guy. I'm glad you brought him home!

Keep us updated, k?

jessiepa

Original Poster
He is on repticarpet and paper towel where he usually poops. As I din't know what it was I paper towelled the whole tank LOL so he wouldn't get an infection. Should he pass this on his own? The light fixture for his UVB will arrive in two weeks. I will try to raise the UVB area so he can get closer to it in the mean time. Thank you so much for your help. hugs

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hugs back to you for taking such good care of him. I'd stick with paper towels, or newspaper and get rid of the carpet, it never gets properly cleaned (I used to use it and hated it). I'm not sure if it will come out on it's own, I thought it might be a prolapse but for sure that's not it. It really looks like an old urate that got stuck in his digestive tract, but I'll have Diane check it out for you, too, and Tracie. They're good friends and experienced keepers. We'll get back to you on that, k?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. Deb sent me these pictures at work but it was hard to see them on my cell phone plus I didn't have time during lunch to post here.

I agree with Deb, it looks like a hard, chalky or rubbery urate (the white part) that can actually cause a plug preventing fecal matter to pass. It doesn't look like a prolapse but instead hard urates with some fecal matter attached to it. Did it finally come out? How is he acting? Is he active or just laying around? Is his beard still black?

Does he willingly bask under the 110 degree area under the lights or does he tend to avoid that area?
What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?

Were you able to call the vet or send the picture to him?

jessiepa

Original Poster
He has an appointment tomorrow with the vet. He has a digital thermometer Now I can monitor both temps. He pooped this morning and no he didn't pass it. Yes he is still black beard. He still won't eat much so he requires feelings. He basks in both zones and sleeps a lot. He is still on antibiotics. Do you think he will require surgery?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that he has an appointment tomorrow. Sure hope they don't try to do another enema, afraid that could make this worse & do more damage. They may be able to give him a little anesthesia to relax him enough to remove the areas still attached, hopefully it's just a hard urate blocking the vent.

Antibiotics are so drying, I think that might be why it is still attached & stuck. Hope it is an easy fix and painless. Did the probiotics come in yet?

Good that you have a digital thermometer now. Make sure to wait about 45 min with the probe in place before getting the final readings.

Good luck & will watch for updates.

jessiepa

Original Poster
I sent a picture to the vet and they seemed to this it's"might not be spelled right" hemepede plug? I know we will know for sure what it is tomorrow. All I know he is not feeling well although he still loves cuddles and exploring. I just find he licks everything. Other Beardie owners told me there's did that too. What will I do in the summer if he licks everything? He won't be able to run around in the grass which is pesticide/fertilizer free? Is hard Urate easier to treat? This lady that owned Freddie gave him dehydrated bugs and veggies and no she didn't even wet them poor baby

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That does look like a seminal plug. It should work itself out after a few soaks and a gentle tug if need be. I'd not allow any more enemas, if done the wrong way they can cause severe problems, even death. If he's having b.m's on his own he should be fine. If he's not eating much he won't have much poo to pass so don't expect much now. Hopefully he'll start perking up and eating soon.

And yes you can definitely let him on the grass for supervised exploring. They can eat the grass , clovers, dandelion with no problem. If you have taller flowers keep him away unless you know for sure they are not toxic. Daffodils are one flower that is toxic.

jessiepa

Original Poster
There's many weeds in the grass, one that is really in abundance is those purple little flower ones the bees love. I believe they are called creating Charlie. Are those ok? Is there a list of ok flowers to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom