black and swollen neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh dear! It could be two things: 1) something's lodged in his throat or 2) he has a respiratory infection.

Be sure to tell the vet this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh he likely has a respiratory infection. I hope he doesn't have anything stuck in his throat though.
Be sure to keep his tank temperatures around 80 overnight, to help with is immune system.
Has his breathing remained the same today?
Great, so he has the Reptisun 10 tube bulb now? How close is it to him & is there any glass/plastic in between him & the light? Is your basking light placed directly beside the tube bulb also?

When are you getting him to the vets, in the morning?
Let us know how he is doing. I am sorry he is not doing well.

Tracie

chris46324

Original Poster
ok sorry for not posting back yesterday. i took him to the vet and the vent examined him. as far as the big black beard she thinks its him reaching his sexual maturity. and as far as him not eating really and just being lazy and laying down she said that when i left for those few days the temp could have dropped in the tank a lil and has made him think its time to brumate. she looked in his mouth and everything looked good, he doesnt look dehydrated. hes not impacted and he shows no sign of bone disease. she said try and bump up the temp in the cage. she mentioned a few baby foods an critters to try an feed him, also gave me a couple syringes and showed me how much to feed him. as far as the coughing thing he did that one time she said sense him only did it once and not anymore that i shouldnt worry unless he starts doing it again. overall she said he seem to be in good health and nothing is wrong ( praying to god shes right ) she said she has 2 beardys herself and understands how me being worried as a first time owner. she also said hes about 6 months old and he weights lil over 100 grams, i forgot the exact amount. as you guys noticed ive been saying him, she also said hes a male, something i wasnt sure of.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing this evening?
I agree on most counts. Did you double check the temperatures in the tank? Since it is wintertime, sometimes the temperatures need to be adjusted somewhat when the weather changes.
How does his beard look, is it still swollen or has it gone back down to normal now?
Giving syringed food is fine, to help him out right now if he still isn't eating. Be sure to include calcium for him too.
Did she do a fecal on him while he was there?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

chris46324

Original Poster
omg so worried right now, he was doing fine past couple days, today he ate on his own i was so happy, then i went to give him a bath, he was just sitting in the water running around a lil, phone rang i went to answer it. came back he still was splashing and he literally stopped moving and turned over on his side. i immediately grabbed him out and he was completely unresponsive for almost a minute. he was barely breathing and he when he tried breathing he flattened out really flat. i opened his mouth and he had a chewed up superworm stuck in his throat. i got it out with tweezers. and its been and hour now and he barely moving at all, barely breathing. and when he moves he moves slowly and uncoordinated. if i could post pics i could but my phone broke earlier. his mouth is barely staying open. and can open his mouth with ease, he doesnt fight it.

he seemed completely normal till that bath incident. now he seems like hes almost dead. its sunday so no vets are open. and i dont think he will make it thru the night judging by the way hes acting now

chris46324

Original Poster
destiny1998":28xtv23l said:
Oh no! Sorry for your loss :(
its ok, thanks.. i just got back from a drive, had to clear my mind, pretty upset over it. especially sense i watched it suffer for a couple hrs before he passed and it was painful to watch but i was hoping he would pull thru. im not gonna lie i cried my eyes out, still getting teary eyes thinking about it. i never thought i could get so attached to a "lizard", how tamed and calm he was and how he just loved to be around me. broke my heart man... well im not gonna moan anymore on here and bore you guys. ill just have to wait till spring when they get them back in the pet stores to get another. if i can bring myself to do it again. its sure gonna be ruff the next couple days thats for sure.

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
Chris,

I am so sorry. Also you don't have to apologize for being upset and mourning here will not bore or upset anyone here. Other people may not understand the grief but everyone here absolutely does. We are here to be compassionate and help you through your loss.

Also if you do find yourself ready for a new beardie to love, you don't have to wait until spring. So many are for sale online on craigslist and elsewhere. Many of them are in homes where people grew bored with them so you would be healing their hearts too. <3

I hope that you'll keep us updated on how you are doing. I'm sincerely so very sorry.

Shelby

chris46324

Original Poster
will do. i found some really beautiful baby ones on craigslist for relatively cheap, well bout the same as petco. just sucks closest is like 45-50 mins away. none near by. i found a couple adult ones thats a lil closer but they want more and isnt as colorful. i just want to get a baby so i can raise it and have it ge tto know me as its only owner and i know it can be stressful for an adult to switch owners at first.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry that happened to him. :cry: It is devastating to lose a beloved dragon. At least he wasn't alone though & he knew you loved him, too. It will take a long time to mourn.
We are all here if you need us.

Tracie

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I am so truly sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and my thoughts are with you. As everyone has already said...we're all here for you (((HUGS)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom