Bizarre reasons for breeding?!?-AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know what to do. Stopped by the local reptile shop for a look around this afternoon. While I got Kang there, they are very inconsistent in their care, depends on who's working or not, and they have a lot of rough looking adult beardies that people have dropped off. Many with MBD, although they are active and alert, and at least getting the UVB lighting and proper food there. What I saw today, though! :banghead: A woman apparently brought a dragon in specifically to be bred, then take home again. The dragon was undersized, maybe 15 inches long, MBD underbite, bony and looked like her tail was broken (maybe healed, or not) at the vent where there was a bony hump, and the tail dropping at almost 90 degrees from that hump, listless, a dragon in need of a lot of vet care, not a dragon that should be bred by any stretch of anyone imagination. The store apparently had one of the guys tell the woman over the phone to bring the dragon into to be bred. When she brought her in, no one apparently has the guts to tell this woman they won't do it, and someone had put one of their MBD but very active males in with her. :puke: What do I do, what can I do? I'm sick, thinking about this poor dragon.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Can you talk to the store manager and threaten to report them? This makes me so sad, it's painful to read. WHY are people so ignorant?! :banghead: :angry5:

I don't get it. They were under no obligation. What about the risk the sick dragon posed to their "merchandise?" Perhaps the owner or manager should institute a policy that they are the only ones allowed to approve this type of request and they must personally evaluate the "visitor." Speaking personally with the manager, expressing your concern about what you saw, and offering a solution is usually the best first approach. Remember, you catch more flies with honey . . .

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, I did go and talk to the store owner today. He said that the dragon was brought in because she had laid infertile eggs, and nearly died with egg binding as a result. Their vet told them that it is easier for a female to lay fertile eggs rather than infertile eggs, and, as she was already laying eggs, safer for them to be fertile. Has anyone here ever heard such a thing before? :dontknow: I haven't read all the breeding posts, but have never seen anything about this in all my travels on the web! :?

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Eventide":d386e said:
And it's even easier for a female to lay NO eggs. >.<
Only if they are surgically sterilized, and I don't think that's an easy operation. Egg laying has nothing to do with a dragon being bred. They will produce eggs, although a female that has not been bred can ONLY produce infertile eggs. It is only when they are bred that they produce fertile eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom