Bioactive Setup Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrChenMan

So I have this 75 gallon wooden tank that I have sealed with silicone and another Type of wood sealant that I’m planning on using for a bioacive enclosure

I did some research online about substrate so I went to the garden store and picket up some cactus and succulent mix (mix of soil, sand and perlite) that I was planning on mixing with more sand and eco earth. Will that work?

I’m concerned about the depth of the substrate. What should the minimum be? The enclosure is not very deep.

I have a aluminum screen top (less of a screen more of big sheet will circle holes in it) and someone told me that if I put heat lights on top, the heat will travel to the edges of the screen and burn the wood. Is this true?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but I have many concerns.
Thanks,
MrChen

(Ps I can send pics of the stuff if needed)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If done properly bioactive setups can be good. They need to be set up carefully and maintained properly though. As far as lighting goes, The lights don't get hot enough to harm wood. You can suspend the lights from an adjustable lamp stand if you want, that way it will sit off of the top a bit and you can also raise/lower it to adjust the temperature. The UVB light doesn't tend to get more than warm to the touch so that's not a concern in terms of heat.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
My main concern about bioactive viv's is the bacteria and, fungus levels. The entire setup is a breeding ground for these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom