best way to transport beardie..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristenT

Juvie Member
There is a class at school that has an adult beardie. The he was given to the instructor by another instructor, and she doesn't want to bring him home over the upcomming winter break. I've volunteered to take him, as I think it will be a good experiance in taking care of a beardie before I get a baby, but I was wondering, is there a certain way you need to transport them? I feel kinda silly asking this, but do I need to put him in a carrier for the ride, or what? From what I saw, he's in a 20gal long (that's way too small, I know!) And the tank is going home with me.
Also, besides the small tank he lives in, he's got a heating rock that stays on all the time, a single heat clamp lamp (no UVB light), and some sort of substrate that I'm not sure what you'd call it. I think it might be corn cob stuff. These are not healthy conditions for him, and I hate it! But what can I do about it? Any suggestions? I'm going to try to get him a UVB light while he's here... one that's small enough for a 20gal but gives off heat and UVB. That will be an improvement at any rate. And I'm going to get him some good food! He gets crickets and squash mainly.
I am happy to take him home with me and give him at least some sort of break and handling... he's very frendly, but never gets taken out of his cage! I can't keep him forever though - just two weeks. Once school starts back up, he goes back. :( I don't know what to do!
He did have fresh water, a clean cage, and a basking branch at least....

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
As long as you dont get him a coil light! You can get a 18 inch uv light and a nice lightweight plastic fixture for it. If you go to homedepo or Lowes you can get a tube uv fixture for 9 dollars. All you have to do it take the strip of plastic off that covers the bulb. just leave it off after you put the bulb in. the 18 inch should fit somewhat ontop of the 20gal. I used to have a 20gal for Skyler and it just barely fit. The only bulbs that I know of that give off heat AND uv are mercury vapor bulbs and they have a 40gal min requirement. Also when you get him home you should probably get some nonstick shelf liner to put at the bottom of his cage. the stuff you are describing sounds like it could retain alot of water and get moldy? not sure but nonstick shelf liner is cheap and if you get the kind without the little holes its really easy to clean up poop. have fun!!!

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok... I found out the substrate is corn cob. Not good... but I didn't bring his viv home. I set him up a new one, and brought his 'furniture'. I've got his basking branch, rock, dish, light and top, and have him set up. He's a little nervous and in great need of a bath... I put up a post on the intoductions area and will post pictures as soon as I get them downloaded to photoshop and figure it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom