best way to make a lay box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
I have been thinking my beardie was a male this whole time but it's been brought to my attention recently that its possible he might be a girl and gravid at that. How do you make a lay box? What are the best materials to use? And is it something you put in their tank? or is it something separate?

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. lol But while I am here Hi! I am new to the site and I have a beardie named Thor who may or may not be a female instead of a male. He/She is 9-9.5 months old by my estimation from when I got them. I always find helpful pages on this site when I googled about bearded dragons so I decided to join.

Thor when I first got him/her
ThorBaby.jpg

Thor Now
IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
haha. I feel like a stalker as I posted on your other thread. But anyway. The best way to make a laybox is to get a 50-60 quart plastic bin. Buy a 50 pound bag of finely sifted playsand and pour it on in. Wet it until it packs and wont collapse. It needs to be warm, so use hot water to do this and put a heat lamp over it to keep it warm.

You can help her start by begining a small tunnel in the sand.

This is a very helpful thread on the proccess.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=166108

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I went to lowes today and picked up what I needed for a lay box. I just put it together. How does it look?
IMG_4725.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

DO I need to put the light up higher? Also Thor does not seem to be enjoying it he/she is scratching at the plastic since I put him/her in there. :? How do I maker Thor more comfortable?

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Nevermind- pic was dark so sand looked shallower. And they will glass dance (hehe plastic dance). Just leave her in there for a few hours (maybe alone- some want privacy!) you can start a tunnel for her if you want. If she won't lay in a few hours, try again the next day, etc etc.

Looks great!

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SpitFyre":cfh5vlfz said:
Thoretta. Thorny. (If he's a girl.) :D
hahaha :p I'll probably just keep it Thor. When I was in high school I had an Iguana named Hank. Then I found out Hank was a girl but I just left it Hank lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom